Health Insurance VHI comparisons on Company 1.3

anonymousowl

Hi everyone. We're being quoted 260 a month now for same cover that cost 220 a month last year. Does anyone have any advice about alternatives in Laya or the other companies? We're on the Company Plan Plus Level 1.3 - checked the Laya 300 Create and that works out the same. Eek.

Hi,

Welcome to AAM.

Does the above amount show the premium for 2 people? That Laya policy does appear to be unusual insofar as it appears to allow 100% for orthopaedic and ophthalmic which the VHI 1.3 Plan does not. You would need to also check the differences in excesses and other cover with Laya

There have been approx 3 price increases in the last year with the health insurers and IMHO if you want the same level of cover you would probably need to pay the higher premium.

Dermot Goode of totalhealthcover.ie does say that approx. €1,400 is the premium for good cover. He also recommends ringing the insurers and telling them your budget and see what they recommend.

You could have a look at his website www.totalhealthcover.ie and the Health Authority website also www.hia.ie

A listen to some of the podcasts here on AAM might help also.

There are some previous AAM threads here but some may be dated especially in light of the recent price increases.

This is great information. thank you. yes, I had noticed the orthodontist which definitely seems unusual. I will call the insurers. is it worth paying someone like Cornmarket to do this? (or Dermot Goode now that I visit his website as well!)

Bananas though isn't it that we have to pay people to figure out what we should be paying in health insurance because it is all so complex and designed for profit rather than health....

Laya website has a useful easy comparison tool (click on Join Laya, then on Compare your scheme). If you input your VHI scheme, it comes up with Inspire and Inspire Plus, both cheaper but very good schemes and with only minor differences to yours. You have the option to show only the policy differences.

With a few complicated exceptions I would suggest that most people don't need to pay for advice, just to spend some time doing their research and comparing policies, working out what their health and financial priorities are. I do this every year for both of us - currently on Inspire Plus and Simply Connect Plus - and I've never found a VHI plan comparable to the latter.

VHI is a not-for-profit organisation by the way, and the other health insurers need to stay competitive. I don't like the price rises either but definitely shop around.

Laya website has a useful easy comparison tool (click on Join Laya, then on Compare your scheme). If you input your VHI scheme, it comes up with Inspire and Inspire Plus, both cheaper but very good schemes and with only minor differences to yours. You have the option to show only the policy differences.

With a few complicated exceptions I would suggest that most people don't need to pay for advice, just to spend some time doing their research and comparing policies, working out what their health and financial priorities are. I do this every year for both of us - currently on Inspire Plus and Simply Connect Plus - and I've never found a VHI plan comparable to the latter.

VHI is a not-for-profit organisation by the way, and the other health insurers need to stay competitive. I don't like the price rises either but definitely shop around.
As above same on simply connect plus for adults of the family and have the kids on inspire plus ( was cheaper then inspire for kids for some reason)

Hi everyone. We're being quoted 260 a month now for same cover that cost 220 a month last year. Does anyone have any advice about alternatives in Laya or the other companies? We're on the Company Plan Plus Level 1.3 - checked the Laya 300 Create and that works out the same. Eek.
I recently changed to PMI 4613 which offers very similar cover to Company Plan Plus Lvl 1.3

I recently changed to PMI 4613 which offers very similar cover to Company Plan Plus Lvl 1.3
I must check that one out. I am on PMI 4510 for €1341 (75% back on GP, consultant) but there is an increase this year of about €100.

I must check that one out. I am on PMI 4510 for €1341 (75% back on GP, consultant) but there is an increase this year of about €100.

The comparison those two policies is here PMI4316 and PMI4510 and would have to say that your current policy is good value for money especially in light of the 75% return on G.P./Consultant visits. There is very little difference in the premiums and the main difference appears to be your high excesses. My own policy with the 75% cover is in/around €1,800 so you are doing well at €1,463.33.

The comparison those two policies is here PMI4316 and PMI4510 and would have to say that your current policy is good value for money especially in light of the 75% return on G.P./Consultant visits. There is very little difference in the premiums and the main difference appears to be your high excesses. My own policy with the 75% cover is in/around €1,800 so you are doing well at €1,463.33.
Thank you Sue Ellen.
PMI 5210 is supposed to be good as well, if children on the policy. I would love to change from VHI for a year.

Has anyone in West of Ireland (or outside CellBridge been able to use PHYSIOCHECK BENEFIT).

Physio is the one thing I used to use with Irish Life (back up plan), however although VHI have "Physio Company" and what they call "PhysioCheck", it doesn't work in practice, if you live in West of Ireland.

In a bit of a dispute with VHI, but I'm not great at 'disputing'.

They ran a Facebook ad for new PhysioCheck in Galway briallhill and the website advertised that VHI clients accepted, VHI customer service people told me ' yes, it looks like it is possible'.. 'and to just ring. Then Physio Company say service does not exist. https://www.thephysiocompany.com/

"Physio Check Programme**
 Full body screening carried out by a Physiotherapist employed by The Physio Company in each 12 month period, covered in accordance with our rules (subject to €50 co-pay). To make a booking contact The Physio Company at (01) 518 0011 Full cover
 Physiotherapy carried out by a Physiotherapist employed by The Physio Company subject to referral from Physio Check full body screening - up to 5 visits Full cover"

We are also on Company Plan Plus 1.3 for a few years, renewal due. I was very happy with the policy tho significant increase this year to
€1560.03 pa & young adults (21) €718.14, (24) €1225.70. Total €3503.87
VHI recommended PMI 52/10 ( total premium reduction of €187, tho some reduction in cover and higher day care excess).
PMI43/16 and PMI45/10 are good places to start. Thank you Sue Ellen.
I will do some research and consider an option of a different policy for young adults.

Back