Health Insurance VHI changing my plan from PMI 42 15 to Company Plan Extra Level 2

Aoibheann

VHI have informed me that from my next renewal date (1/1/2023) my current plan will be replaced by Company Plan Extra Level 2. VHI plan PMI 42 15 has disappeared both from the HIA comparison website and from the VHI website so I am unable to compare online what I had with what is being substituted. From their correspondence it seems to be a worse plan than what we had - convalescent care is down from €75 per night to €30 per night, day to day expenses are reduced, emergency dental treatment is not covered.

I am in my late sixties and my husband in his early seventies and we both suffer with ill-health. I no more want to trawl through the various plans than I do a pain in my head but I am worried that we won't have sufficient cover should one of us need it. It seems to me that the HIA should hold on to details of expiring health plans like PMI 42 15 to enable us (the public) make a comparison for a replacement health policy of equal cover.

I would appreciate any assistance in recommending a good health insurance policy similar to PMI 42 15 or an easy way for the bewildered (me) to figure out a decent replacement policy.

Hi,

Having read this article today it brings it home to me that we need to be even more careful than a lot of people have been to-date about their health insurance cover.

Looking on Google gives the Table of Benefits for PMI 4215 so you may be able to use that to compare line by line the cover provided in their recommended one.

Also speaki to VHI ask them to go through the differences in the policies and take a careful note of these.

There are some previous discussions on the PMI 4215 plan and changing from same on AAM here but unfortunately they are not up-to-date so may not be relevant now.

You could also use a company such as www.totalhealthcover.ie to advise you about your move but they do charge a fee for this service.

Not having PMI 42 15 on the HIA website makes it very difficult to compare with other providers plans unless you compare Company Plan Extra level 2.

I don't understand why they retired the plan on 1st September instead of the end of the year.

If there is better or worse cover on the plan we are being migrated to what are the rules regarding waiting periods?

VHI would not be retiring PMI 42 15 unless there was something in it for them i.e. reduced costs/claims.

If there is better cover on Company Plan Extra Level 2 in some areas then they can hardly enforce waiting periods given that VHI are moving their customers (not the other way around).

If the new plan is more expensive or there is worse cover in some areas of the plan they want us to move to and the customer wants to move to a different plan with better cover, can they enforce the waiting periods?

Back