Very small notebook with keyboard?

speirbhean

Hello there,
I wonder if ye can help me - I'm not even sure if this product exists!! But I need a very small light notebook or laptop, that can be easily carried around, but it has to have a keyboard - a PDA with stylus wouldn't do the job as I'll be doing a lot of writing on it. Anyone seen a product like this, or have any idea where to get one?
thanks!

Do a Google search for "ultraportables" but be prepared to pay a significant premium over a similarly spec'd normal size laptop. Sony have some nice models.

Family member has a Sony® VAIO® VGN-TXN25N/B 11.1" diagonal screen, very light, comes in various colours. Bought in the US last Christmas, not sure if they do that size here; highly recommended.

Quote from blurb "t
his VAIO TX series notebook is an ultra-portable computer that weighs only 2.84 lbs, is very thin — 1 1/4" — and has a battery life of from 6 to 10 hours. It features Intel Centrino mobile technology, a widescreen 11.1"-diagonal WXGA (1366 x 768) display with XBrite™ technology, a DVD±RW Double Layer drive and a durable carbon-fiber case."

Yeah - a colleague of mine has one of those (or a similar model in the Vaio range) and it's nice. He uses it as his main software development machine too. But it cost about €3K a year or more ago.

I have a Thinkpad x40 - a fabulous machine, full keybord but tiny machine
However there are next generation of the x40 already - x60 and x61, same footprint but much more powerful.

I think a Tablet PC is what you want...
Detachable keyboard and handwriting recognition to use on the touchscreen.
Compaq jobbie here

Wouldn't mind one meself :)

IBM/Lenovo X-Series are horrible IMO ! I had one from work while waiting for my T43 to be repaired and god I hated it !!

Hello there,
I wonder if ye can help me - I'm not even sure if this product exists!! But I need a very small light notebook or laptop, that can be easily carried around, but it has to have a keyboard - a PDA with stylus wouldn't do the job as I'll be doing a lot of writing on it. Anyone seen a product like this, or have any idea where to get one?
thanks!

Is screensize important or would a bluetooth keyboard in conjunction with a PDA work for you?

e.g. http://www.amazon.com/Think-Outside-XTBTUE-Ultra-Slim-Bluetooth/dp/B0002OKCXE

I would recommend OQO. [broken link removed]

Super machine, great design, not cheap though. Company formed by former apple designers and technologists.

a colleague has an x60/61 and hates it. max ram is only 2 gb and the keys on keyboard are smaller so a bit awkward to use. he regrets not just upgrading to a t60 like the rest of us. also the dvd drive is in the docking station.

what's the battery life like?

when running WAS, DB2 EE and RAD/RSA plus occasional VMs for WPS, CM or IDS among other things it helps to have at least 2 Gb.

The original poster just said that they would be doing a "lot of writing" on their laptop - I don't think that running that sort of stuff is relevant to them. I'd say few people here even understand the abbreviations that you're using never mind needing to run the relevant applications.

fair comment. as a direct response to your question, my response was based on why I consider 2Gb insufficient or limiting, clearly isn't relevant to 99.99% of users.

on a more general note future proofing (RAM is one of the cheapest ways to upgrade existing hardware) would be impacted, plus if he intends to go for Vista the more RAM the better.

There's a range from VAIO that are made from carbonfiber so they are ultra light.
SZ or TX range I think

Hello there,
thanks!

Family member has a Sony® VAIO® VGN-TXN25N/B 11.1" diagonal screen, very light, comes in various colours. Bought in the US last Christmas, not sure if they do that size here; highly recommended.

Quote from blurb "t
his VAIO TX series notebook is an ultra-portable computer that weighs only 2.84 lbs, is very thin — 1 1/4" — and has a battery life of from 6 to 10 hours. It features Intel Centrino mobile technology, a widescreen 11.1"-diagonal WXGA (1366 x 768) display with XBrite™ technology, a DVD±RW Double Layer drive and a durable carbon-fiber case."

I bought a similar model in Singapore... absolutely fantastic

Back