Very long extension lead

extopia

Registered User
Messages
3,205
I have an outbuilding that's 60m or so from the nearest power source. I don't think I can buy an extension lead that long. Is there any reason not to buy some cable and sockets and make one myself? The plug and sockets at either end would be indoors at all times (not the cable, obviously). What spec cable should I look for? TIA
 
Is there any reason not to buy some cable and sockets and make one myself?

Many moons ago an electrician made up an extension lead for us by buying the parts himself but it was not very long. Can't remember exactly why but it was probably that I was complaining that some of the cheap leads in stores did not look to be up to much. Cheap imports at the time.

What spec cable should I look for?

Sorry I can't confirm the type of cable but it does look to be quite thick (just like me :) )

Just found this and wondering if it is of any use.
 
What spec cable should I look for?
Something like this.

 
What you plan to plug in at the far end is quite important, if it’s say a handful of lights then you have little to worry about, you could easily make up an extension lead yourself if you do it carefully. But if you plan to run something heavier like a heater or a welder then you would need something heftier.

Would you consider getting an electrician to extend an existing outdoor socket to the outbuilding? Armoured cable for a job like this is often the same price as the flex you’d buy to make an extension lead, but can be buried neatly and have a proper socket on the end.
 
Trying to find an electrician (or anyone else) who will dig the trench and bury the cable might be a challenge in the location!

Nothing major either would be plugged in - lighting, small appliances, brief power tool usage maybe.
 
Although more expensive I’d deffo go down the armoured cable route, bury it yourself and leave plenty slack both ends to connect to the fuse board in the house and another board in the outbuilding. Can add lights, sockets whatever you want then after.
 
That’s not suitable cable at all for something left outside all the time, it can be easily cut or damaged in the garden and then electrocute someone.
It’s also not thick enough as heat and voltage drop across 60m of that cable will be very poor. Only armored cable or as noted above cable like this with thicker core is run though a protective solid pipe and buried is suitable. It should also be on a breaker suitable for outside work not just plugged in a normal socket.

Outside work like this isn’t really suitable for amateurs at all. Even if you got someone to install say an outdoor socket 10m down the garden properly and then used a 50m cable as needed that would be better.
 
Trying to find an electrician (or anyone else) who will dig the trench and bury the cable might be a challenge in the location!
How about you dig the trench yourself and call out the electrician to lay down a proper cable and connect it up. Electricians don't like dirty work like digging or chasing walls. And an electrician most certainly will come if you pay them enough. Which sounds a way better solution than the DIY cable you're suggesting, which is just a recipe for disaster.

You can even hire an electrician by phone now, so no need for them to come out and quote, just go on the camera and show them from where to where you want the cable and what you want it to do.

Especially since:

lighting, small appliances, brief power tool usage maybe.

Sounds like you need at least one source of light. 4 sockets. I get the feeling you're going to run a cable with multiple sockets on it into a shed, and run it over the grass/lawn/shrubs. Out of which you're going to plug in some kind of light, maybe a heater, a kettle and then go doing some work with a drill ....
 
If DIYing the trench, dig it a minimum of 50cm, or 60cm in areas where you are likely to dig in future (under planting for example). I'd agree with @Bronte above in that you should over specify rather than limit cable sizing the what you currently think you'll use it for.
 
So a foot and a half to 2 foot, didn’t realise it had to be that deep, but it’s narrow, so shouldn’t kill you! Hopefully it’s a straight run with no concrete or tree roots.
 
I get the feeling you're going to run a cable with multiple sockets on it into a shed, and run it over the grass/lawn/shrubs. Out of which you're going to plug in some kind of light, maybe a heater, a kettle and then go doing some work with a drill
I never mentioned a kettle or a heater - these would be too load intensive. Extension would be on all path, no grass/lawn/shrubs.

However I have been convinced by replies here and other research elsewhere to go down the permanent wiring route. I know my electrician will do it, but yes he wants me to dig the trench and lay the conduit myself. Might have to hire a mini digger - it's too much work with a spade.
 
Last edited:
So you've to dig up a path? What's it made of? Would you not need a trailer to move a mini digger? If you haven't dug before that sounds prone to difficulty digging up correctly if it's concrete, plus the cost. Maybe hiring a man to dig would be cheaper than hiring the mini digger.
 
You can hire trenchers in some of the plant hire places, they'll do a quick job but you'd want to be sure there are no services running in its path.
I think pictures would be helpful at this stage. He needs to be certain of where he’s digging. 2 foot is quite a depth.

I had to goggle “trenchers” - that sounds like the job all right. And every day is a learning day on here.
 
I think pictures would be helpful at this stage. He needs to be certain of where he’s digging. 2 foot is quite a depth.
It's a second home, not there at the moment, no pics. But the property used to be part of a farm, and the 'shed' is actually the milking shed (it used to be powered and still has an ancient fuseboard, but the supply was removed long, long ago.) There are no services in the old farm track between it and the house. Trencher looks like the business alright if I can find one locally for hire.
 
Back
Top