Very Expensive Commercial Electricity

Arguably good news despite of course a disaster for the business and the employees.

planting something that doesn’t require extensive heating might be a better idea I mean,
This reminds me of the "we don't need all those builders and tradesmen anyway" talk circa 2009.

Be careful what you wish for.

My fixed rate for business electricity finishes next month (I thought it was earlier) and I checked what current rates are.

Energia quoted 37c a unit - a substantial drop on the 50c+ being quoted last October.

They expect it to drop further by end of Feb.

Still high, but not anywhere near the levels seen last year.

My fixed rate for business electricity finishes next month (I thought it was earlier) and I checked what current rates are.

Energia quoted 37c a unit - a substantial drop on the 50c+ being quoted last October.

They expect it to drop further by end of Feb.

Still high, but not anywhere near the levels seen last year.
Peemac , Check is that a “ fixed” or a “ fully fixed” rate you are being offered from Energia. From past and painful experience there is a huge difference. Basically , with a ” fixed” rate the rate , standing charges , "pass through charges" or ISEM charges can go up ( but not down) during the period of the contract. If its “ Fully Fixed” , well done , that’s a great price in the current climate , but I doubt very much if it is. Watch out for the asterisks *
But , yes , not to throw cold water on things , prices are starting to level off and come down slightly. But beware , the suppliers are also getting more creative in trying to fool us into thinking we are getting better value than we actually are.

Last edited:
Peemac , Check is that a “ fixed” or a “ fully fixed” rate you are being offered from Energia. From past and painful experience there is a huge difference. Basically , with a ” fixed” rate the rate , standing charges , "pass through charges" or ISEM charges can go up ( but not down) during the period of the contract. If its “ Fully Fixed” , well done , that’s a great price in the current climate , but I doubt very much if it is. Watch out for the asterisks *
But , yes , not to throw cold water on things , prices are starting to level off and come down slightly. But beware , the suppliers are also getting more creative in trying to fool us into thinking we are getting better value than we actually are.
There are no business fixed rates currently.

This is a variable rate - only extra is the standing charge.

My current fixed is 16.02c

Business unit rates went up before residential and they are also coming down before residential. - I know SSE will likely have a residential rate reduction announcement in Feb.

There are no business fixed rates currently.

This is a variable rate - only extra is the standing charge.

My current fixed is 16.02c

Business unit rates went up before residential and they are also coming down before residential. - I know SSE will likely have a residential rate reduction announcement in Feb.
Bord Gais are doing fully fixed commercial tarrifs .

Bord Gais are doing fully fixed commercial tarrifs .
Thanks. I'll check them closer to my fixed rate end date, but with prices likely to fall further I'd be holding off fixing at anything over 25c.

We have a small business. Felt we were unlucky with timing. Our electricity contract was up in July 22 - in at 19c . I watched the variable rate rise - up to mid 65c. Got contacted by an agent of a big utility in September, who said I needed to lock in now at @.78c . As it would be above 0.80 in October.

So we locked in, it took a lot of work to get back out of it, and locked in at 0.60 for the year.

So it did rise x 4 times in September.

Back