Venice To Rome

tups7

My wife and I are planning a holiday to Italy in July. Starting point is Venice and finish in Rome 10 days later. Have a car rented, but no hotels booked. Any advice on what can be acheived in that time frame, good hotels, and what not to miss along the way, would be appreciated.

T

Last time we went we found http://www.venere.com (www.venere.com) great for hotel bookings.

Also stayed on the coast at Cinque Terre and it was gorgeoues.

You'll have a fab time...the dingiest pizzerias in Rome have pizzas to die for and if you like ice-cream you'll never want to leave.

Rome is fab...don't cut it too short as there's a lot to see and a great buzz. We stayed near the main train station Termini and despite what the travel books said we found it very safe.

[broken link removed] stayed near the main train station Termini and despite what the travel books said we found it very safe.

have to agree, Rome City Centre at night is the safest place in the world

Ciao,

In only 10 days I recommend to visit these cities:

Venice
( 2 days )

Padova
(half day...city center and Cappella degli Scrovegli painted by Giotto)

Florence
(2 Days)

Pisa
(half day .... City center and Torre and Piazza dei Miracoli - Tower and Church)

Volterra and San Gimignano
(1 day....2 beautifull medieval cities)

Rome
( the rest of your holiday!!! I lived here for 15 years....one of the most best city in the world)

About hotels try:
destinia.com
hotelopia.it
octopustravel.com

A good 4 star hotel in Italy cost around 100-120 euros per night (2 people)

About restaurant 25 euro.

Sorry for my bad english but I'm working in a italian company in Cork

Enjoy Italy!!

Ciao

about Main train station in Rome (Termini or Giovanni Paolo II (2 different names for the same train station!!) I would like to recomment to find a hotel not too close because is not a very nice area.
One good hotel here is : Hotel Alpi 3 star superior, a nice hotel not too far from the train station.
You can Find hotels in this area:
Parioli (hotel Claridge 4 star or Hermitage 4 star)

About the tube or bus in Rome be careful to young gipsy....keep your money in a safe place.

Thanks for all the help. We fly out on Friday. Looks like we will follow the route Venice - Garda - Genoa - Pisa - Rome.

Just back from venice & florence. That route sounds pretty good and if you have the time you should definetely consider visiting Lucca near Pisa,a beautiful tuscan town with city walls you can walk around. Only 20 mins from Pisa on the train so can't be far by car. For the Venice area, we visited the other islands of Murano, Burano & Lido- all different but worth a look. Enjoy!

Back at work now. Holiday over. We had a super trip. This is how it went:
1 night in Treviso (Near airport as flight was landing at 10pm)
1 night in Venice - 2 days walking around, expensive, but a must see.
1 night in Verona - Lovely spot. Wanted to stay longer.
2 nights in Sirmione (lake Garda) - 2 days relaxing by the pool + lake
1 night in Florence - Not great. Queues to see David were huge, so skipped it
2 nights in Pisa - Enjoyed this stopover. Needed the reast after all the driving.
3 nights in Rome. Super city. Enjoyed the Vatican City, Catacombs, roman forum.

For the diving we borrowed a Sat Nav device. Have since bought one for myself. Saved a lot of hassle. Just punch in the address of your hotle in the next city - hit the GO button - off you go.

Guys would any of ye recommend renting a camper van in Italy going over for 15 days hoping to start in rome down to sorrento and back up the country flying out of venice.

San gimignano is a must and it isn't big so it won't take long - you could get a good feel for it in 2-3 hours. I enjoyed it far more than Florence to be honest though I know art and shopping buffs would disagree. Go to Google images http://images.google.ie/ and search for San gimignano - you'll get a sense of what to expect.

I'm surprised nobody mentioned Sienna - beautiful city -again 2 -3 hours would be enough for a taster.

Jolly man, I'm not really into driving on holidays but having just come back from 3 weeks in Italy, I, personally would not even consider driving over there. The coast road around Sorrento/Amalfi is magnificent but jammed solid with traffic over the Summer months. The clear stretches were like drag strips. Trips in taxis took years off my life! If driving is your thing then go for it. We took the train. It was fantastic and extremely good value for money.

And how good is the train service? We plan on staying in rome for three days then heading down to sorrento, is the train good for this? Trips to Pompeii? are they all easy to get to using local transport bus and trains? What are the costs like? We want to travel through tuscany also and from there to lake garda/Venice? Are these all possible with trains and buses?

Trains are brilliant. When you get down to Sorrento or thereabouts there are plenty of coaches and taxis to ferry you around. We got a train from Venice to Rome and then from Rome to Salerno (past Sorrento). From memory I think it cost about €50 per journey per person. You can always hop off wherever you want and then continue your journey. One thing though - it can be really busy in high season.

"1 night in Florence - Not great. Queues to see David were huge, so skipped it"
What a pity. That was the highlight of Florence for me as well as the Uffizi gallery. I was on a tour so we skipped the queue & had a dedicated time to visit. Is it possible to book a tour from hotels in Florence ? Even though it might cost a bit more it's a shame to visit a city & miss the best parts of it. Perhaps it's worth looking into for future travellers.

Jolly Man. I know it's easy to get a train from Sorrento to Pompeii. Don't miss it - it's a fabulous place. Not sure about answers to your other questions as we hired a car.

we were in florence last month & e-mailed our hotel to book a time for the uffizi and also the david in accademia. This means you just show up 15 mins before your time & you get to avoid the big huge queues. However, they can be delayed but i would definetely advise booking ahead!!

As regards trains, we travelled florence to venice no problem & florence to pisa & lucca also by train. I dont know how easy it is to do tuscany by train but there are loads of bus tours which is what we did for one day.

Hi
Glad you enjoyed your holiday.
We are driving around Tuscany and up to Cinque Terre in September. We have only booked accomodation in Florence for 3 nights. Did you book ahead or book along the way?
Polly

Back at work now. Holiday over. We had a super trip. This is how it went:
1 night in Treviso (Near airport as flight was landing at 10pm)
1 night in Venice - 2 days walking around, expensive, but a must see.

Back