VAT Registration and Thresholds

tinymouse

Looking at doing some work to the side of my main job as a sole trader. If it goes well, I hope to quit my job and go full time.
I'm a little confused about VAT registration. Particularly with regard to the thresholds. As I'm not sure if I'll ever hit them.

If I don't register for VAT, earn under the threshold for say, 6 months, then pass it in the last 6 months, am I liable for VAT for all work I've done in the 12 month period? Am I supposed to go back to clients and ask for more money?

I assume that if I were to charge VAT if I'm not yet registered would be illegal? Even if I refunded it to the clients if I end up being under the threshold and not registering?

And when it says €37,500 in a continuous 12 month period, say I earn 1k a month January to August, then 5k a month the following months, that's 28k for the year. But in March, I'll exceed 37,500 on a rolling year basis. Does April - March become the period in which VAT is payable?

Also, am I correct that the money I earn as a wage as an employee has no bearing on my VAT at all? It doesn't count towards my allowance, or would I have to pay VAT on it.

Also, I've been planning this business for 2 years, and have bought equipment, software etc for it. Am I correct that business expenses I incurred in the past 4 years can be claimed back? And how does this work if I'm using the Moneys received basis? Do I put all my expenses for this period in my first VAT return?

#1 - get an accountant. It will save you a lot of money in the medium term and they are not expensive.

It's only from vat registration that you account for vat.

You do not retrospectively charge or retrospectively claim back vat

Once you expect to reach the limit, it would be ideal to register.

Back