Vat on uk purchases

Belle11

Hi
I recently bought from uK based Outdoorlook .com
The seller charged me 23% vat under the IOSS scheme (I believe the vat then goes to the relevant country in this case Ireland)
But then Revenue / An Post sent a notification for vat to be paid, they have actually sent 2 separate notices for the same order / parcel.

The seller says revenue are in the wrong, part of their email here.....
the authority is wrong in their request. The VAT payable threshold is ex VAT 150 EU, this order is below 150 EU ex VAT threshold, so we will pay the VAT back to the French authority via our monthly TAX return, under our filing IOSS reference number: IM2500000400

You should 100% not pay the VAT and they should release the goods to you. In turn we collect and pay the VAT to the the French authority, who has registered our VAT / legal entity, as part of the IOSS scheme.

Please print off / email this dialogue and ask them to release the goods in good faith. They are in breach of the new IOSS tax regulations which came into force from the 1st July 2021. //ec.europa. eu/taxation_customs/ioss_en

No one who I spoke to at An Post knew what the IOSS scheme is. I have logged a query with ecommquerycharge, but no reply yet.
I still had 12 days to pay or have the parcel returned but the postman delivered it yesterday which I think is unfair because your now not likely to go to the bother of returning it yourself.

Has anyone been in similar situation, I know I have to pay vat but don't want to pay it twice

Any advice appreciated. Apologies for long post

Is that just a typo that the French authorities are mentioned?

Im reading a lot of reports on other social media sites of An Post returning items to sender from outside the EU claiming faulty paperwork - they are not manually reviewing the paperwork if it wont automatically scan or something along those lines. The same paperwork is accepted in other EU countries and many sellers have suspended shipping to Ireland. The Royal Mail cant get clear answers from An Post on what info is required.

In your shoes at least you got the item? I would pay the VAT for now, and pursue the complaint and hold off on ordering anything more unless couriered.

Last edited:
I still had 12 days to pay or have the parcel returned but the postman delivered it yesterday which I think is unfair.......
I'm at a loss here, so you have the parcel without having to pat VAT twice, what's the problem ?

I would pay the VAT for now, and pursue the complaint........
But didn't the OP already pay the VAT when ordering the goods?

I'm at a loss here, so you have the parcel without having to pat VAT twice, what's the problem ?

But didn't the OP already pay the VAT when ordering the goods?
An Post don't accept that I paid the 23% vat (deducted by seller), postman told me the customs WILL get their money off me

postman told me the customs WILL get their money off me
Never heard of it working that way, any time I had deliveries that attracted VAT/duty I had to pay before parcel was released for delivery.
Personally I wouldn't pay much heed to what postie said.

I presume you mean Outdoorlook.co.uk?

Since July, suppliers sending goods into the EU have to supply custom data electronically. Either they get it right like most do, or like it sounds here, they don't. Without that information An Post will not be able to confirm VAT status and so have to charge it.

It is likely a typo, but perhaps they did indeed forward VAT payment to the French authorities, if they did that was their error and does not mean they can avoid paying the Irish authorities.

We ordered stuff from next.ie. in August but have still to receive the goods. We received a VAT bill from An post and we paid it in full. The postmaster said it may take a few weeks before we receive the parcel. That was two weeks ago and no sign of the parcel.

I got a VAT bill from An Post a week or so ago, and paid it immediately.
The goods arrived two days later.

Brendan

I got and paid a vat bill recently for goods bought from UK shop. Goods arrived in ireland but were then returned to sender who phoned me today!! Rang an post today who said parcel was returned due to an An Post processing error. I am now waiting to find out what I do next?

I got a VAT bill from An Post a week or so ago, and paid it immediately.
The goods arrived two days later.

Brendan
Does the An Post bill come like a large postcard form factor?

I received one for a package and contacted the seller as I expected this to have been included in the post. Without the seller doing anything the item arrived a day or two later without any payment being made and I never heard anything further on it.
Quite strange.

Back