VAT on online jewellery

laois1

Anyone know if VAT is payable on online jewellery purchases. My sister bought a pair of earrings at a very reasonable price and was not charged VAT on the website. My feeling is that this will be charged when the goods arrive. I remember having to pay VAT when I ordered some clothes from a US website sometime ago, basically i had to pay in cash before the guy would hand over the parcel on delivery. Never again. I assume she will be hit for 23% (which she was not anticipating) ?

Where is the seller based? It will be more than 23% as there will be admin charges and possibly some customs charges. Can she cancel the order or ask for clarification?

the seller is outside the EU. What are the customs charges do you know ? How do they calculate the amount due ? Is it based on the receipt with the item ? Has this happened to anyone else?

I could be wrong, but i do know of one case of a similar where the VAT was charged on the value of the Item being imported.

Typically if the Goods are being delivered DHL, they will call and refuse to release until Vat/Duty is paid. There is a section on the waybill which details what the goods are.

If they are regular post and not marked they may possibly get through but to the letter of the law i think VAT would be chargeable.

Im sure you are right. It all depends on the package declaration. I think the items were not too expensive anyway and probably a lot cheaper than buying in a shop here, so hopefully she wont mind too much.

Back