"Variable rates set to become major issue in General Election"

What about the foreign lenders some of whom are fleecing SVR holders - surely Noonan doesn't have an obligation to get those banks back in profit?

This is not a political issue perhaps because of three reasons:

(1) We do not know what politicians have exposure to AN Other Bank
(2) If judgments have not been sought (yet) then maybe politicians feel they cannot get involved
(3) The 'challenged middle class' do not do protest and are focused on survival

He doesn't have an obligation to get them back in profit but he does have an obligation to stop those people being savaged just like the other banks and to do what he and the CB haven't been doing, enforcing the consumer protection code.

Its clear that only one party is going to TRY to reduce variable rates in the upcoming election and I never vote for them but this time I am.

Everyone would know who if the stupid tv3 presenter didnt keep interupting when this leader spoke about mortgages.

Only one leader mentioned mortgages in last nights debate

Do politicians not realise that housing relates to mortgages as well as rent.

Apparently if you have a mortgage you never go homeless...according to parties

Imagine discussing health but not mentioning hospitals
Imagine crime without mentioning rhe event of burglary and dublin
Imagine 8th amendment without child

Imagine economy without USC

Oh sorry im not allowed mock the usc

Politicians keep arguing against what other parties are proposing instead of sayong what their manifesto is CLEARLY

Unless VMR is reduced in the next 2 years drastically Irelands population will have to hand over at least 20000 homes and unless TRS is extended as one leader promised on tv3 debate.

The rest argued for usc

Which leader referred to TRS in the debate? I thought it was Micheál Martin, but I paid not attention to it as there isn't any good reason for giving mortgage holders tax relief.

Gerry Adams did raise the variable mortgage rate issue, but got interrupted by the presenter.

Brendan

Labour have a 1st time buyers scheme also.
And Labour and FG have some vague promise to bring in a Dublin allowance for 'young workers' because the cost of living is so high up here.

The madness of it it all would drive you to drink

I know this won't happen but if TRS is being removed and the likes of AIB and PTSB are being sold some of the money raised should be given back to people like us who have been contributing most to getting the banks back profitable and getting them attractive for sale aa a dividend. Sorry I'd better wake up from the dream I was having about the day we got treated fairly but now I'm back in the real world I know the chances of that are very slim indeed. It was a nice dream though.

Yes Brendan

It was Michael Martin for all of 2 seconds

Gerry Adams asked a question at the end but presenter interrupted

Extending TRS isnt a waste. How can you think that? Without TRS my mortgage is over my means. No reduction in variable will do this unless by 1.5per cent which will NEVER happen

So I gotta vote for Fianna Fail. FG n Labour no and cant vote SF cause Gerry Adams isnt my favorite person even though all the rest of sinn fein are good.

The poorest third of our society will never be able to afford to purchase a home.

Why should their taxes be used to subsidise your borrowings?

If the State does manage to recoup its investment in our banks then I hope the proceeds are used for truly worthy causes, like providing for the mentally ill.

What does the FF manifesto say on TRS ???. What period of mortgages does it cover in the promise. House prices had fallen by 30% or more by end of 2008 and continued to fall for some years after and have not reached the boom prices yet. In many parts of the country they are at less than 50% of boom time prices.
Anyone who took out a mortgage between 2000 & 2006 and who paid their mortgage P & I have between 10 & 16 years knocked off their mortgages which would be attracting a relatively low amount of Interest. So we are now into the relatively "boomier Bertie period" of 2007/2008 during which time there was quite an amount of tracker mortgages availed of. I know all were not trackers.

So if TRS were restored how would it be targeted fairly.

Every type of mortgage across the board regardless of when they were taken out?.
Every mortgage holder regardless of their income.?
Any limit to the amount of Interest that would be subsidised.?

Back