Varadkar: "We need to cut tax but increase social insurance to get a fair society"

The problem is Leo had a chance to Lead by example in the department of social protection and fell short by a mile to give back something to the people who got up early in the morning .I have pointed out the government which Leo was part of robbed over 2 billion Euro off the people who got up early in the morning private pension and to add insult to injury anyone who had a contract of employment in the private sector to retire at 65 finished up getting the same as a person who never paid a cent in prsi in there life. The people who got up early in the morning and paid there prsi between age 65 and 66 years of age he could have made a stand for these people who got up early and restored the 42 Euro a week or a total of 2184 Euro taken off them by Joan Burton.He could have given it back seeing he was part of the government who robbed the people who got up early in the morning by taking there pension and taken there well earned Employee and employers PRSI contribution and renege and went back on the long held view that when they reached 65 the would get an extra 42 Euro until you reached 66 having paid prsi all of your working life.Leo has shown he will Squeeze and treat people like dirt and give there well earned money to his and his other Government ministers vested Interest groups to buy votes

Last edited by a moderator:
His side kick is up to his eyes in it.Look who he picked as his side kick.How many do you think will finished up being appointed for there talent.He finished up getting all the backstabbers.

As I said, it was a loaded statement, not thought out properly, aimed at a particular section but hit everyone, especially those who through no fault of their own have fallen on hard times. Leo also has a habit of intruding into other ministers portfolios and making statements on how things should be handled, but yet he was never able to handle any of his own portfolios. In fact he's made a cock up in lots of his attempts at trying to handle jobs he's been given. I guess that's why 2/3 'rds of the grassroots told him they didn't want him.

If the USC is lumped in with PRSI Lots of LEO buddies will finished up not having to pay it like before only the PRSI CLASS A1 will finish up paying and getting very little back like before,

When the USC was brought in the higher rate that PRSI CLASS A1 was charged at was taken down to 4% from 8% and the USC kicked in for everyone .When FG said they were doing away with the USC I am sure lots were happy who never paid it who should have.You possibly know that already.

You are de-railing this thread, but I will answer you.

I think I understand what you are getting at now, at long last.

Let's take 2010 as an example.

http://www.welfare.ie/en/downloads/sw14_10.pdf

Low paid workers are in PRSI classes AO and AX.

AO was 38-352 pw - these people were exempt from PRSI

They did not have to pay PRSI at all, yet they receive a credit, so they get future benefits.

This continues to 2017, there is a PRSI exemption for low-paid workers.

After 352 pw, workers were in class AX or AL, and they paid 4% PRSI.

Then, at 500pw, workers were in class A1, and the 4% Health Levy kicked in.

So people in class A1, like you and me, earning over 500pw in 2010, paid 4% PRSI and the Health Levy, which was typically 2%, but which was 4% in 2010.

Once you were paying PAYE class A1 There was an anomaly that only affected employees paying PRSI CLASS A they were the only prsi paying group where the Health Levy kicked in they were always paying a USC Type levy .Lots of other groups should have paid it but it was never followed up until the USC came in.The point I am making is Leo is saying to put the USC and PRSI together and give extra benefit.

What JOAN BURTON did was cut the Benefit to to this group of PRSI Class A1 Who were paying a type of USC along with there PRSI , Leo had his chance to restore this cut to the people who were paying a usc type levy.To me and I hope I am wrong Leo is trying to squeeze more out of the PRSI A1 taxpayer without giving anything back.

jjM2016, is there any chance you could start a thread about PRSI Class A and USC and not drop it into every thread.

I though I was bad going on about Unions! ;)

:rolleyes:Purple this is what this thread is about why would I start another go back and read the first post when you get a chance .It was in response to Leo suggestion about linking PRSI AND USC and giving the people who paid in the most something back in return. You could learn a thing or two from the unions you are on about.There is no point in closing the door when the horse is gone.:rolleyes:

FG were going to do away with the the USC and if they did or do do you really think FF/FG/LABOUR are going to leave PRSI A1 at 4% .you must never have looked at your pay slip if you did not know there was more than 4% stopped.There are none so blind as those who will not see.Some people can be lead by a silk tread,The people pushing to do away with the USC are the people who never had to pay the Levy along with there PRSI before USC came in,

:rolleyes:Purple this is what this thread is about why would I start another go back and read the first post when you get a chance .It was in response to Leo suggestion about linking PRSI AND USC and giving the people who paid in the most something back in return. You could learn a thing or two from the unions you are on about.There is no point in closing the door when the horse is gone.:rolleyes:

FG were going to do away with the the USC and if they did or do do you really think FF/FG/LABOUR are going to leave PRSI A1 at 4% .you must never have looked at your pay slip if you did not know there was more than 4% stopped.There are none so blind as those who will not see.Some people can be lead by a silk tread,
Yea, but in every thread you post on you seem to make the same point about PRSI.
This isn't just about Class A, it's about balancing the whole system better.

Did you ever check to see who along with PRSI Class A1 had to pay extra along with there prsi.The answer is in all the extra money taken in once everyone had to pay the same levy as PRSI Class A1,

I think you might be inside some echo chamber!

:)I think you may be inside the USC net now,:):)
:) It will not be as easy to get out as you think:):)

Purple USC levy you cant get anything more balanced that the usc if there has to be a levy lets all pay it who have an income,= not just paye taxpayers paying PRSI A1 taxpayers, it is very simple to collect and very hard to avoid not paying,You have a very bad memory the last FF Government put a extra 2% levy on PRSI A1 but did not include any other group with an Income Do you trust them not to do the same again if the ever get back into government ,the USC only hurt the people who were avoiding or not paying a levy already,

USC was a good tax until they took so many people out of the net. Now it's just another income tax.
I suspect If Leo is allowed to put it Back in again along with the PRSI Class A1 This is the only Group who will finish up Having To Pay It like before. Just Look at all the people who got Squeaky Bums who never had to pay the extra levy applied to People like you and I .They expected FG/FF to do away with it .So it is still a good levy,

USC was a good tax until they took so many people out of the net. Now it's just another income tax.
Purple

Could I suggest you start a new thread if you want to discuss something other than historic PRSI Class A1 contribution rates? ;)

Back