Vanguard Index Funds

Are there any equivalent institutions in Ireland offering almost equally low cost
ETF total index funds investments similar to the Vanguard Index offers that can be recommended at least for further information on the whole area and treatment of dividend, taxes etc ? Also, are ETF index trackers identical to the Vanguard Index Trackers available in the US?

Thanks

I have a fairly large holding in the Vanguard ftse Europe ETF , US domiciled, Im only really getting rewarded now, as it has only started to perform in the last few months. I think the case for investing in european assets is now only taking hold after a torrid few years where the value of the european indices especially in spain , italy , portugal were falling , some european indices are still valued lower than they were in 2000. Now I think US investors are moving money to europe as it finally looks to have turned the corner and most US assets on the expensive side especially when you convert out of US dollars

I think you could be right there Joe Sod.

I would like to purchase low cost European Index Funds but who is cheapest option to go with other than Degiro who are really execution only and I would like further information on the whole area. Anyone any suggestions ?

I think you could be right there Joe Sod.

I would like to purchase low cost European Index Funds but who is cheapest option to go with other than Degiro who are really execution only and I would like further information on the whole area. Anyone any suggestions ?
I presume you are aware of the tax implications of ETFs domiciled in ireland or europe that is the key reason to opt for US domiciled ETFs which are treated like shares, it has been discussed in depth in other threads. As for the Vanguard Europe ETF, VGK is the ticker is a very broad ETF holding I think 3000 different european shares, so a very broad exposure and low risk. However having said that a broad exposure to Europe over the last few years would have been a losing investment since 2014 , I know I have experienced it ,looked worse in US dollar terms but not devastating I just wished I had waited a few more years

Fair enough but it's far from guaranteed that deposits will lose value in real terms. "Cash" (short term bills) has actually produced a modestly positive long-term real return.

Equities are never a low risk investment.

thats true but this ETF does what it says on the tin , it gives you very broad exposure to the european equity market. It would be much lower risk than investing in individual shares or even buying an ETF giving you country specific exposure like Ireland, afterall the whole irish stock market was decimated after 2008 whereas the european one wasn't as the german economy continued to roll on. Having said that you are not going to get block buster performance either.

Back