Vandalised Car.... Massive damage!

Kaz2512

Ok I need some my advice, my car was badly vandalised saturday night... its a 04 Avensis.... i went to get an estimate today and its looking to hit nearly €3,000 to repair! I think there is a chance the car will be written off as its only worth approx €4,500.00... Can someone tell me exactly what the write off policy is?

Varies from insurer to insurer. Mum is insured with Aviva, slid off the road during bad weather into a tree, shunting the engine about 6" in towards the car, damaging radiator etc. Damage total was about €5800, car value around 6100. The car was approved for repair by the insurance company rather than being written off. My mother said she would bnever feel safe again in the car so luckily the dealer gave her the trade in value of €6000ish towards a new car, and insurers paid to repair it. Bit strange to see it on the forecourt knowing somebody has bought it, just hope it was repaired well!

I don't know what the policy is on "write off" but I would say that probably half of the estimate could be labour plus vat leaving the other half (€1500) full price plus vat for parts.
The value of your car is immaterial to the repairer as they will use new parts.

Keep the car, accept the Insurance cheque , check out secondhand parts where possible and have some garage willing to fit .

Result, your car fixed up and everyone's a winner ;)

Back