Value of estate before probate needed.

Darthvadar

Hello Everybody.

My darling mum took her leave of this world last Tuesday night following eight years of battling Renal Failure. I've spent these years looking after her, and I don't regret a minute. If there is such a thing as a beautiful death, my mum got it, thank God!.

I have a copy of her will, or I have in my possession a sealed envelope that I believe to contain a copy. I haven't opened it yet, I'll do so after her funeral. However I know I'm sole beneficiary, and executor. How do I know?. Because she said so!.

Bank and PO accounts etc. are in joint names, not large amounts, so there's no worries there, the questions surround her Credit Union account.

Anyway, the money question(s). Sorry Brendan, sneaking in another!. There's probably about twenty thousand Euro in her account, do I need to go through probate?. Second question, what do I need to do, or have with me when I visit the Credit Union?.

Please forgive the questions that may seem obvious, but this is my first time to even experience a death, let alone 'tidy up affairs' after one!.

Thank you all in advance.

Darth.

Last edited:
DV, Sorry for your loss.
Re probate, yes, you do need to do it as its the only way you can get unfettered title to the non-monetary assets
Just a little uncertain here: when u say joint accounts, do you mean you and your late mother and that they operated on a single signature.
So is the CU Account in your late mother sole name?

Hi Ircoha.

Thank you for your speedy reply.

No property, Council house which was built more to meet my needs than Mum's, and I have Joint Tenancy. Just Joint PO and Building Society accounts and this one Credit Union account. I have Financial Power of Attorney. We shared accounts. Yes, all joint accounts operated on a single signature.

Credit Union account in her name (I understand Credit Unions don't allow Joint accounts)., and I am her 'nominee' to benefit on her death.

Thank you very much for your kind words about my loss. I'm feeling pretty bereft right now. My total focus for the past eight years has been caring for her, and I'm feeling totally redundant. On the other hand though, and far more importantly, for Mum's sake, I'm very glad she has died, she'd had enough, and the only future she had was a nursing home which she didn't want.

God bless, and thank you again for taking the time to reply.

Darth.

Glad to help, I see you have another earlier thread going re the CU where there is good advice so I will leave you in the hands of others who know more.

My post was just to get the detail clear.

Keep well and let the Force be with you at this difficult time:)

I add my condolences on your loss.

On my understanding of how CUs operate, you should have no problem having the funds paid over to you without applying for Probate. There might also be a death benefit payable under the CU's insurance.

The best thing to do, once you are ready to tackle practical matters, is to arrange a meeting with the CU's manager and ask to have things clarified for you.

Good idea, Padraig.

I'll set up that meeting and see what needs to be done.

Thank you very much for taking the time to respond.

God bless.

Darth.

Back