Value of 10 year old car

In the case of the two lads that I was referring to, both live and work in Dublin and while both travel a bit for work, I don't think either actually see themselves ever becoming car owners again (which in itself is an interesting point, given both are only mid 40s, have active social and family lives etc.).

Autonomous cars will bring significant change here in time. They will tip the balance for many to give up car ownership.

Autonomous cars will bring significant change here in time. They will tip the balance for many to give up car ownership.

You’re spot on. I’ve always seen the inevitability of autonomous electric vehicles, but I never made the leap to the fact that I am unlikely to own one. Cars are appalling assets, on the basis of their utilisation which is circa 5%, i.e. 95% of the time, they’re parked. Imagine the benefits of being able to “Uber” an autonomous vehicle at any time and at far less cost than owning a car.

If you retain one car in the household swap primary drivers every other year and that will protect your ncb and history, as I understand it takes two years of non driving for it be to an issue getting insurance again using your ncb.

Reactions: Leo
If you're looking for a lift to/ from the local, you might chance it :)

I can imagine pubs having their own Johnny Cab for their regulars, mini-bar includes! That's where Shane Ross should be putting his money for his drinklink service.

If you retain one car in the household swap primary drivers every other year and that will protect your ncb and history, as I understand it takes two years of non driving for it be to an issue getting insurance again using your ncb.

Good idea but the only issue here is each year you would have to register the car to the new primary insured so after 5 years the car would have 5 owners etc

Good idea but the only issue here is each year you would have to register the car to the new primary insured so after 5 years the car would have 5 owners etc

No, as a spouse (well, that's our situation) or a partner (I think) you have an insurable interest in the car and can be the "main driver".

Go car option would be much more appealing if you were not forced to return the vehicle to the pick up location.

I can imagine pubs having their own Johnny Cab for their regulars, mini-bar includes! That's where Shane Ross should be putting his money for his drinklink service.

I thought that Shane Ross idea for rural buses was very good, until I heard mention of the fact that the last bus to take the punters home would be leaving at something like 11.00pm (i.e. before the bar closes), absolute stupidity !

If you're looking for a lift to/ from the local, you might chance it :)

Think I'd sooner take my chances getting a crossbar from one of the lads on the bikes :D

Go car option would be much more appealing if you were not forced to return the vehicle to the pick up location.

I wasn't aware of that, and thought the cars could be left at other drop off points. However, I see here that you are correct. I don't see it being a problem for many users, but can see why occasionally someone may want to leave the car at a different location and I think GoCar should provide the option of various, per-determined, drop off points (subject to a charge, perhaps)

I also noticed that it's free joining this month.

That doesn’t sound great

Assuming you are talking about the requirement to return the car to the pick up point, I think it really depends on what you want to use the car for.

If it's a short, one way journey, isn't a taxi the better option for example ?

GoCar is still very much a Dublin based company. As it grows, I can see it expanding more into other parts of the country and probably then permitting cars to be dropped off at alternative per-determined locations, much like the hire car companies. However, I could never see a time when you could literally drop a car off anywhere you wanted and expect them to facilitate you (well, not without a significant cost).

Possibly but as I said before, only use gocar for short journeys as their mileage charge is high. Most people would take a car to do a chore and then go home again. They also are tied to a car hire company so you can actually hire a car through them on a daily basis. This has the advantage of not filling in forms when you go to hire a car as they have all details on file already.

No, as a spouse (well, that's our situation) or a partner (I think) you have an insurable interest in the car and can be the "main driver".

That's great to know, my wife and I may need change who drives which car, I don't mind changing the insurance over but I didn't want another owner going down on each car.

I'm a GoCar member (one car household) but unfortunately when we need a second car it's often to take the kids somewhere, wait, and then bring them home. Which is expensive enough using GoCar's model. Something like Fleet might be an option too, though it doesn't really seem to have taken off and there aren't many cars on there.

Back