Valuation surveyor


Frequent Poster
I live in an old property that has had various renovations / improvements carried out over the years. I'm not happy that the various online house valuation calculators suit my situation. Can anybody recommend a south Dublin surveyor who can value my house for insurance purposes?


I don't have a recommendation I'm afraid, but I'm guessing it's a re-build cost you're after rather than a valuation?

Insurance companies don't care about valuation, just what it will cost to rebuild your house to the current standard should it burn down.


Frequent Poster
As Leo says, its the rebuild cost that you need. Remember that BUILDINGS are the structure that you cannot take with you. CONTENTS are what you can take away. One Insurer I dealt with said that you should imagine your house being turned upside down. Whatever falls is CONTENTS and whatever remains in situ is BUILDINGS.

'Old' is a subjective term. It could mean a terraced house built in 1800's or a Tudor house build in Tudor times!

Onus is on you to have the sums insured correct.

One suggestion, would be to ask your broker/insurer to recommend a sum insured (in writing). That way, should a disaster ensue, you might have the protection of the document to pursue wither insure or broker?????