Valuation of house

cormacol

Hello all,

I am considering selling my house and was wondering can you ask various estate agents to come out and value your house before you decide to sell i.e. do you have any obligation to go with an estate agent if you get them to value your house.

No.

Most EA's are happy (or is that desperate at this stage?) to come out and value your house. They will no doubt also take the opportunity to wow you with the tiny percentage of the sale they will grudgingly accept as their fee (plus advertising costs, land reg fees and sundry other expenses).

NIB require an independent valuation on a house for their new LTV mortgage. How much does the average valuation cost? Is it a set fee or attached to the value of the house?

Oldtimer - most valuers charge between €100 - €130 plus mileage if applicable. You should check that the valuer is on NIB's panel of valuers if they have one.

Cormacol - you should get at least three estate agents to visit your house to give you an assessment of what they think they could sell it for. You are under no obligation to sell on the basis of the initial visit.

Tallpaul - estate agents don't charge land registry fees, the govt. does.

Sarah

www.rea.ie

Oldtimer, NIB don't have a panel of valuers so you can pick any, they just need to use the NIB document format which I believe can be downloaded from their website. I got a valuation done yesterday on a house we're buying and it cost €130. One EA I rang, on the recommendation from the girl in NIB was charging €200 + VAT!! (chancer).

I was always of the opinion that a house would find its own value ,just what people/buyers were prepared to to bid to, depending on the area

Hello all,

I am considering selling my house and was wondering can you ask various estate agents to come out and value your house before you decide to sell i.e. do you have any obligation to go with an estate agent if you get them to value your house.

Most estate agents will do a free valuation in the hope that you will put your property with them. You are under no obligation to do so.

Back