Valencia - ideas for good things to see and do

tallpaul

As the topic above suggests, we are off to Valencia next week. Anyone have any experiences of the city (good and bad)? Any recommendations of things to see??

I spent a few weeks traveling around Spain last summer and I found Valencia to be my favorite city!!

Small, even smaller than Dublin but very clean and well kept. Food is fantastic and very cheap, like most of Spain. It is the home of Paella and (although I did not get a chance to go myself) there are small villages around l'Albufera that make the best Paella in the country. The beach is about 20mins on the subway from the city centre and I found it to be as good as most. I was lucky enough to go see the local derby soccer match between Valencia and Villa Real, even if your not a soccer fan it is still an amazing experience. There is a fantastic museum built in the city but I did not have the time to visit it, I have been told since it is worth a few hours of your time.

It is the perfect place to relax, eat and drink. Try a restaurant called La Pappardella off the main square. Very very reasonable and great food and atmosphere.

Enjoy!

yes Wiggle, Valencia is a nice place... but it is not as small as you may think (way bigger than your Dublin :) ... in fact, Valencia historic center is the biggest of Europe fyi, above Madrid, Barcelona, Brujas and other major european cities...

The museum you recommend, I believe is the City of Ciences and arts (www.cac.es). It has a big Hemisferic (IMAX 3D cinema), an Opera, and the biggest oceanographic in Europe amongst others..... a piece of art by famous Valencian architect Santiago Calatrava, who designed that fancy white bridge you have in Dublin, which is a small replica of the one we have here....

I stand corrected on the size of the city............. but you will agree the centre is very small in comparison to Dublin city centre.

Maybe on the next visit I will explore a bit more :)

Back