Vaccines for Ecuador/Peru in November?

cibby

Hi Folks,
I was interested to read all about Asia and vaccines in another thread-- and am asking your OPINIONS.
I went to my GP, had a full consultation, we looked up their detailed site with maps etc etc etc-- it was thorough--and I got two injections from GP-costing e165 (included consultation, and combined Hep/Tetanus and the other one was combined Typhoid/polio diph) But GP doesnt administer anti-Rabies and gave me a letter for another Clinic that does. (apparently only some places are licenced to give it).
My hubby is already in Ecuador for some months and HIS GP didnt even suggest rabies but gave him the yellow fever one-which no other volunteer there got at all. My GP doesnt think I need yellow fever one.
so....."doctors differ and all that....."
MY question to you folks is: I am finding thru phonecalls that the cost varies hugely and some clinics charge big money and INSIST on another consultation, not accepting the letter from my GP. I find this unfair and very costly to me-- rabies is E78 for injection AND E60-70 extra for a consultation I already have had. opinions? what should I do? not bother with it at all ?? (hubby didnt, and I am only going on a visit)

You should contact the Department of International Health and Tropical Medicine of the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland, tel: 402 2337 for advice on what you need. They are based in Mercer St. They are experts in this area. I've been going there for years. I was last there two years ago before I went to Ecuador. There was a consultation fee and then €35 - €40 per shot. I would never go to a GP for advice on tropical medicine.

As far as I'm aware Yellow Fever is the only vaccination that is any sense compulsory - this is the only one that other countries can refuse you access if you have not had the vaccine (as evidenced by an official WHO certificate) ... Normally though I think this tends to be if you're arriving directly from a country with Yellow Fever risk (basically Tropical Africa and South America - including Ecuador)

All other vaccinations are in a sense optional.. obviously many are a good idea depending on destination, but no one is going to make you take them or check if you have - it's your own risk and you should consult a medical professional .. I would tend to second PMUs advice and go somewhere experienced with travel medicine - the Tropical Medical Bureau on Sth. Anne Street in Dublin (they have other branches) always used to be good - but it's a long time since I've visited them.

Back