vaccinations south east asia

D

dervie

Could anyone shed any light on this for me? I am raging....
My boyfriend and I are tavelling to South East Asia (Malaysia, Thailand, Laos and Cambodia) for 5 weeks next month:D
About a month ago we went off to our respective doctors to get our shots (neither of us had ever gotten jabs previous to this) My boyfriend went to his doctor, she looked up the jabs (hep a/b, diphtheria, typhoid, tetanus) He got is prescription for malaria tablets, paid 100euro and off he went.
I went to my doctor a week later. He told me what I needed (same as above) and gave me 2 shots there and then and told me Id have to go back a week later for 2 more, and go back another 2 times after that. I asked him on second visit how much this was gonna cost and he couldnt tell me-said they'd make up the bill at the end. I also asked him why my boyfriend got his in one visit-he also couldnt answer me. He just said that HepA and B had to be given as a 'course'. 4 visits later I get the bill and its for 262euro!!!!!!! (this included an 70 euro consultation fee)
I am so cross as I feel as if Ive been fleeced but am also slightly worried that my boyfriend isnt protected enough by the jabs he got either.
Any advise????

Myself and my girlfriend got 2 injections each last week covering Hep A, Diptheria, Typhoid and Tetanus, took about 5 mins, 130 euro each.....we are going to malaysia/thailand but do not need the malaria tablets for the areas we are travelling to

Myself and my girlfriend got 2 injections each last week covering Hep A, Diptheria, Typhoid and Tetanus, took about 5 mins, 130 euro each.....we are going to malaysia/thailand but do not need the malaria tablets for the areas we are travelling to

Sounds like what we got. OP it sounds like you were fleeced. I didn't get Hep B as that's the one that's sexually transmitted, doubt (a) that it was necessary if you're going with your boyf and (b) that it costs over €100.

Can't discuss medical issues on here but I know my doc said I didn't need the Hep B as I was travelling with my OH

Just to clear up about Hep B - it isn't only sexually transmitted. It can be passed through blood products, unclean medical equipment, from mother to child etc etc.

I've the Hep B vacc (as well as a long list of vaccs) as I now live overseas and should I ever need surgery or a blood tranfusion I've a defense against it.

More info here: http://www.hepb.org/hepb/transmission.htm

Dervie,
I had similar once off vaccinations a few years ago and it cost less than 100Euro. It didn't include HepB. As far as I can remember, the doctor did say that getting a second booster jab a few weeks after the initial jab would give you protection for up to 10 years. Looks like you're very well protected!

A friend of mine who travels quite a lot actually buys the vaccines from the chemist and gets a nurse friend to administer them. Quite a bit cheaper compared to going to a doctor.

Hep B vaccine is now being given to all babies in Ireland. Dead easy to catch the disease and easily preventable, and a course protects for life probably. It all depends on your risk profile travelling for this trip, and further trips that you not have already planned.

Back