UTV vs eircom broadband

yygaurav

Hi All

I am in process of getting broadband and i am currently UTV customer.

Price for eircom is higher as compared to utv ( €41/€46) and eircom is ( €50 /€55) for 1MBPS or 2 MBPS respectively.

eircom 1MBPS = €50 2MBPS = €55
utv 1MBPS = €41 2MBPS = €46

For 1MBPS

eircom download limit 10 GB contention ratio 12:1 ( any anybody confirm this this contention ratio please )
UTV download limit 6 GB contention ratio 48:1

For 2MBPS

eircom download limit 20 GB contention ratio 12:1 ( any anybody confirm this this contention ratio please )
UTV download limit 12 GB contention ratio 48:1

I am not a heavy user of BB. But I will be connecting to my office VPN from home. Any user of UTV or eircom users advise me please. Also would like to watch some movies online.

Thanks

Free calls in the evening and weekends with UTV. Very few techincal issues. Of course, if you want to move house or there is a problem with your line, be prepared for hassle. I use UTV myself.

Above package mentioned with eircom also includes free calls to any line line in ireland ( not to UK but thats should be ok) in evening also I don't plan to move house in the near future.

I am just interested to know if UTV broadband contention ratio makes a big difference as compared to eircom. Does any of UTV customers feels that it is slow as compared to eircom.

or in general people using UTV, is there any problem with it ?

Thanks a million

I 've been using UTV since June 04. On balance I'm happy overall but there have been a few problems over the years some of which have been covered in previous threads such as this one or this.

With UTV since early 2005. Generally satisfied but have also had a few issues which are probably covered in the threads linked by demoivre above.

Agree with above. Customer Service has improved but not open weekends ?
Download caps pretty good and I avail of their free calls

not sure bout Eircom

I'm on UTV also for 2-3 years (can't recall exactly -sorry) in that time there have been about 2 outages that I've noticed; not too bad a run. Iit's not empirical evidence but anyone I know on Eircom has done nothing but complain

I think that the different packages (usually starter, basic/mid level and advanced) offered by both have the same profile including contention ratio. But don't forget that you might be on a 48:1 contention ratio and your neighbour might be on 24:1. The contention ratio is "implemented" at the exchange or further "back" and not on the local loop as far as I know.

I think that the different packages (usually starter, basic/mid level and advanced) offered by both have the same profile including contention ratio. But don't forget that you might be on a 48:1 contention ratio and your neighbour might be on 24:1. The contention ratio is "implemented" at the exchange or further "back" and not on the local loop as far as I know.

As a slight aside, if one lives in a local town (as opposed to a major city like Dublin, Cork etc.) and one went with UTV, would the contention ratio be hypothetical given that UTV might not have 48 subscribers on a particular exchange??

well I live in midlands and I don't think there would be lots of people on UTV ( but reading from above it seems that everybody is on UTV:) and happy about it.)

Does any body here on eircom ? Do any person who has eircom bb can confirm that they have a contention ratio of 12:1

Thanks

As a slight aside, if one lives in a local town (as opposed to a major city like Dublin, Cork etc.) and one went with UTV, would the contention ratio be hypothetical given that UTV might not have 48 subscribers on a particular exchange??
Maybe not - the contention ratio may relate not just (or at all?) to the exchange but all the way back through their infrastructure.

Does any body here on eircom ? Do any person who has eircom bb can confirm that they have a contention ratio of 12:1
Odd - I can't see to find anywhere on their website that clarifies the contention ratios that apply to their different home broadband offerings...

Broadband still seems quite expensive in the Republic.

I'm in Northern Ireland so I use the Talk Talk service which for £20.49/month (about €30.58/month) includes the monthly telephone line rental, up to 8 Meg broadband with a 40GB monthly allowance, and also includes the cost of as many local, national and international (inc USA, Canada, Australia) telephone calls as you want to make up to a maximum of 70 minutes per call.

[broken link removed]

With UTV for calls for about 2-3 years and BB since my exchange was enabled in Dec 06. Have been very happy overall. There was some DNS issues on a couple of weekends in the past where UTV couldn't resolve website addresses. I haven't experienced this for a number of months.

I use various forms of VPN for work and it is fine.

Til 5 pm on Saturdays.
I called them just after 5PM today and they were still there. In spite of my previous gripes about UTV support they were very helpful this time. My mother's broadband was refusing to connect (ADSL was syncing but the Internet LED on the Voyager 210 router was not lighting up). Turns out that the router configuration had somehow (either spontaneously or due to my meddling) reset to the UK settings. The guy walked me through entering the correct configuration settings and we were back up and running within minutes. He told me that the Voyager routers sometimes do this for some reason. He could have been just trying to spare my blushes. :eek:

Back