UTV Clicksilver-do I have to initiate all contact?

I just got off the phone with them, and the person I talked to thanked me for pointing out the discrepancy mentioned above (ie offer valid to 30th of June, yet T&C mention 15 April). So hopefully it'll be changed.

I've gone with UTV clicksilver for broadband, I've installed the DSL router using ethernet port on my pc, this appears to be working with the power, eth/act light and DSL lights all on. When I'm prompted for username and password, I've tried both Admin and an empty password plus the username and password which UTV issued and get an 'Access denied' message, has anyone any ideas before I give UTV a call.

Just want to check is it something simple before calling
Thanks

Unregistered said:
When I'm prompted for username and password

Prompted by what? If you are connecting to the router's web based administrative console using a web browser then you need to enter the administrative credentials detailed in the accompanying documentation (usually "admin" and no password or "admin" and some default password). On the other hand if you are already connected and are referring to the credentials needed to configure your router and establish an ADSL connection then you will need your UTV username (cs<nnnnnn> - where <nnnnnn> is a 6 digit customer number) and password allocated and emailed to you on registration. What router did you get? The Creative Blaster one or another model?

Yes, it's the creative blaster one I got. It's when I try to connect to the initial DSL routers home page that I have the problem with. I enter http://192.168.1.1 and try Admin and no password that I get the error message

Have you read the docs that came with the router? I can't remember if the admin password is blank or has some default value but it's definitely described in the docs/leaflet. If you have a proxy configured in your browser settings then you may need to disable/remove it or bypass it for 192.168.1.* addresses. If you have previously used your PC on a LAN then the networking may need to be disabled and the interface configured explicitly for a fixed IP address (e.g. 192.168.1.2) while connecting directly to the router.

I had the exact same problem. Make sure you disable any firewall or anti-virus protections when you try to log on using your username and password (that you got in your email). After you have successfully logged on, you can then reinstate protections and you will be away.

They really should have this in the instructions.

tallpaul said:
I had the exact same problem. Make sure you disable any firewall or anti-virus protections when you try to log on using your username and password (that you got in your email). After you have successfully logged on, you can then reinstate protections and you will be away.

They really should have this in the instructions.

I run ZoneAlarm on my PCs and can access the router admin webpage OK. You do have to make sure that access to the local 192.168.1.* subnet bypasses the proxy server though and that the network settings are appropriate (this should be explained in the docs accompanying the gear). Another test might be to open a command shell and try telnetting directly to the box and see what happens:

• Start -> Run -> cmd.exe
  • telnet 192.168.1.1 80
  • Hit return a few times and see if it spits anything out

I got this sorted by resetting the ASDL modem using a pin, reset button is between USB and ethernet ports.

Back