Utility box on external wall - no door - who do I contact?

Protocol

Registered User
Messages
5,567
There are four utilty boxes on the external wall of my house.

Two large: electricty and gas, and two smaller, which are telecom / cable TV.

One of the two smaller boxes is missing its door, so I can see some loose cables inside.

The key I have opens the two large boxes, but not the other smaller box.

I have never been a customer of Eir or Virgin in this house, so I have never used the cables inside these boxes.

How might I get a new door?

I looked in Woodies and B&Q, but I think it's a builder's providers that might sell them, not a consumer DIY store.

Or maybe I should ask Eir and/or Virgin? But I have no way of knowing which of them owns which box.

Should I take a photo of the two boxes, and send a query to both Eir and Virgin?

I am worried about rain ingress.
 
Or maybe I should ask Eir and/or Virgin? But I have no way of knowing which of them owns which box.
The internals of electricity and gas meter boxes are the property of ESB Networks or Gas Networks Ireland, but the enclosures themselves are the householder's property and responsibility. Similar with the telecoms boxes, they are the householders' property though the providers or re-sellers often provide and and at times retain ownership of some of the equipment.

ESB Networks offer a once-off free repair, I'm not aware of any of the others doing similar.
 
If the two small ones are the same I’d take the remaining door off and bring it to your local electrical wholesaler, they’ll most likely have one for a few quid. Sounds like they are your responsibility.
 
One of the two smaller boxes is missing its door, so I can see some loose cables inside.
I have a similar problem and need to replace the doors. I need to check the measurements before ordering but I've found them online below.


Double check your measurements
 
Back
Top