USIT liquidation, Friend paid for trip to Australia

shipibo

I was wondering if there was any advice / experience on this situation?

I have a friend who was using USIT to fly from Dublin-London-Bangkok to Australia in May 2020.

He is looking to get compensation, as he paid fully for the trip

He paid by Debit card, so is looking for a charge-back from bank

He was advised to chase the airlines for a refund.

Appreciate any experiences people had attempting to get compensation

Thank you for reading

--------------------------------------------------------------------

This is information I have so far

USIT were a licensed travel agent so you have protection . Details here

[broken link removed]

More here :

https://www.aviationreg.ie/

From their old site

“ You are protected when you book with us! "

USIT Ireland Ltd is bonded and licensed by the Irish Government as a travel agent (license no. TA237) and as a tour operator (license no. TO660). The bond lodged with the Irish Government provides for the reimbursement to clients of monies paid to a travel agent or tour operator in the event of the failure of that agent.”

Here is an update to my query

The regulator states only flights are covered, and USIT bought the tickets from Aer Lingus / Thai Airlines.

They advised to contact Bank for charge back, or the airlines directly and look for refund

Any suggestions?

----------------------------------------

We are in receipt of your claim form (copy enclosed) against USIT Ireland Limited.

Note, for background, that the only USIT services covered by the bond are flights and accommodation (other items such as Visas, Insurance, Programme fees, are not covered). Therefore the only element of your particular claim being considered by us are the flights.

However, as the airlines were paid by USIT and you received your flight tickets, USIT had fulfilled this element of your contract, meaning the travel element covered by our scheme was not impacted by USIT’s collapse. As a result, you do not have a claim against the bond administered by the Commission for the €1,*** you paid USIT.

I advise you to contact Aer Lingus & Thai Airways to see what redress may be available to you (in the event your flights were cancelled, for example).

Failing a successful outcome there, as you paid by debit card, you may be entitled to a chargeback from your card provider. If you go this route you can present this as evidence that you do not have a claim against the bond of USIT.

Did the flights your friend was booked on operate?
Did they notify the airlines that they couldn't use the flights due to COVID?
What communications did they have with the airlines before the flights were to depart?

Thanks for your response Derek

I have asked him .... but here are my assumptions, from the conversation we had

1. No, It was May and Dublin - London was not operational (Aer Lingus ) ,and LDN -BKK to Aus ( Thai ARW )

2. No, they dealt only with regulators until they received response this week . I have asked if airlines mailed them about flights, awaiting response

3. None, they booked through USIT and have not gone flights route yet

A quick Google gives information.

https://www.thaiairways.com/en/contact_us/thai_special_assistance_form.page

But Thai Air are under court protection, so it could take a while. It has restarted operations.

All flights in April and may were cancelled, so you should be able to get the refund, however they pay back to the card, so this may not be the best option.

I reckon chargeback is the best option to try first as you paid usit and it is they who went bust.

PeeMac

Thank you very much for your post.

I think this is where it stands presently and appreciate all your help on this

Would it be sensible to contact AIB for charge-back, while simultaneously contacting Thai Airlines ( Flights ), Australian Embassy ( VISA ) and Liquidators of USIT , KPMG ( Admin, ancillary services like SIM , Job hunting etc ... ) ?

The reason I ask is, USIT went bang in Mar, and seven months later and they are not much further

I would have applied for chargeback months ago.
You are getting very close to the time limit for claiming chargeback.
Do it tomorrow. Not Monday, tomorrow.

You may be over the time as it's 180 days from knowing and liquidation was end of March.

I don't think Thai can refund you as you did not pay them directly.

Here are the details from the liquidator

[broken link removed]

Appreciate your help Peemac,

The charge-back was applied for last week, They asked him to email a brief overview of his case.

My issue is their timeline for response, and deadlines for other vendors passing ...........

He initially contacted AIB in early April, and was told to contact the Aviation Regulator, this was done in early April.

The Aviation Authority responded as above in the last week of September, stating they only covered flights, and as he received tickets
he could not claim against them ...

It's the initial date of contact, so time is OK.

I'd concentrate on chargeback

Far quicker.

Back