Using paving slabs as wall slabs?

Joe Nonety

I'm about to put down some patio slabs as part of a new patio.
I was thinking of using the same patio slabs to cover a concrete garden wall.
I've never seen a garden where the patio slabs were used vertically to cover a wall - is there some obvious practical reason why not?

I may be wrong, but I think they may be too heavy to fix securely to a vertical surface.

Try contacting polybond they might sponsor it and use it as an advert. . . . The amazing power of poly bond can hold up a 10kg paving slab for a whole five minutes

I'm about to put down some patio slabs as part of a new patio.
I was thinking of using the same patio slabs to cover a concrete garden wall.
I've never seen a garden where the patio slabs were used vertically to cover a wall - is there some obvious practical reason why not?

Yeah - I think they would be very heavy for vertical but you could lay them just off vertical. Incidentally, some patio slabs have bevelled edges so they wouldn't look so good vertical but I'm sure you could get non-bevelled ones. Slim

The reason why patio slabs are not used to cover walls might not be practicality. To my taste, and I suspect the taste of many others, they would probably not look right.

i'M SURE THERE IS A BONDING PRODUCT OUT THERE FIT FOR THE JOB AS I'VE SEEN GRANITE/MARBLE AND SANDSTONE CLADDING ON BUILDINGS

@Seantheman, I suspect the cladding is not as thick as paving stones would have to be, therefore is easier to hold in place.

@Padraigb, there are many different types of paving stones and whereas some might not look good on a wall I'm sure others would. I actually think the surface of a patio continued up a wall could look very good, I understand why the OP is exploring the practicalities of it.

i'M SURE THERE IS A BONDING PRODUCT OUT THERE FIT FOR THE JOB AS I'VE SEEN GRANITE/MARBLE AND SANDSTONE CLADDING ON BUILDINGS
Stone cladding on walls would generally have a support structure ( stell angles/framewor) behind it and would not be bonded directly to the substrate.
If the paving slabs have a square edge they may be able to support their own weight if laid on top of edge other and you are not going too high , you should speak to an engineer to discuss this.

What about a trellis and some climbing plants, like sweet pea?

Or plaster it and ask for some detail to be put in... lines etc.

Back