Using N26 or Revolut in US

Maesus114

I'm going to New York next week and wondering in anyone has recent experience of using an N26 debit card there. I see the company are not licenced to sell a/c's in US since Feb 2023 but can I use my Irish N26 card while there? I presume Revolut will work as a backup.
I don't want to use the AIB or PTSB cards and incur the extra currency conversion fees.
Thanks

I used Revolut in the USA this year. No problems but the card was frozen due to some strange Uber charges. Good security, I suppose, but I think the problem lay with Uber. I have no experience of N26 but many posters here do.

I always use N26 card in the US (both physical and via Google Pay), and without any issues.
Have a paid-for account though (N26 You I think) that also allows for cash withdrawals without extra fees.

With Revolut you can enable location-based security. I assume this links card activity to your phone, so that if the two are in the same place the transactions is less likely to be flagged as suspicious.

I will be in the US in a few weeks and see how I get on.

I used Revolut last year on a trip to the states. The only issue we had was in relation to adding a tip at restaurants. If I remember correctly it was only the charge without the tip that was taken from the card with the suggestion that the tip would be taken later and I don't think they ever were. After the first couple of times we changed to paying the tip in cash. Not sure if the issue is specific to Revolut.

Update now that I'm back. The N20 and Revolut both worked everywhere except the subway machines. I needed cash for those.
Perhaps I needed to enable the card to read the magnetic strip but chip and pin as well as tapping worked everywhere else.

Back