using inward leg of return flight only

neil

If I do not use the outward leg of a return flight can I still use the inbound flight or does it make that leg void also ? It is a Ryanair flight and I can't find anything about this on their web-site

AFAIK you've paid for your flight - it is entirely up to you whether you use all of it, some of or any of it.

If you use the outbound and not the inbound then you are fine. However if you book a return flight and don't use the outbound, only the inbound then they might cancel your flight. This has been my experience when booking flights for colleagues anyway.
If you have a lot of patience then try calling their customer services to clarify.

Ryanair don't sell linked flights - according to themselves they are a 'point to point' carrier. So each flight is individual.

If you don't use the outward the inward is cancelled. It is not an option, if you turn up at the checkin desk you won't even be listed on the manifest. As soon as you miss the outward you are removed from the return flight and that's not an airline specific rule.
Sorry.

It is a policy that harks back to the bad old days where a return could be half the price of a single ticket, so cute hoors would book returns and only use half of it. The airlines would not stand for it.

A friend of mine missed his outward flight which included a connection in Heathrow. Even though if he took the next flight to heathrow, he would still have made his connection on time, his whole itinerary was cancelled. Luckily the airline charged him a 'no show' fee of €50 and allowed him to rebook which didn't cost anything on top of the original price.

But be aware that this was only because his ticket allowed this. If you have a discounted ticket, a lot of airlines do not allow you to change/cancel and tough luck if you miss your flight.

Indeed - it used to be the case when fares were calculated on a round trip basis then if you missed the outbound flight they automatically cancelled the inbound leg.

For most European flights now this is no longer the case since the underlying fare you pay is made up of two oneway fares ... therefore airlines won't auto cancel the remainder of your reservation if you don't show for the first segment.

If in doubt check with the airline in question.

This is possible, I have done it on an Aer Lingus flight last December. I called them in advance just to be sure, maybe the OP should do the same.

If you miss the outward leg, you should be ok if you use the 'Reconfirm' funtion on Ryanair.com for the return leg.

thanks all for the replies...finally had the patience to call Ryanair today and they confirmed that there is no issue...they are seen to be 2 separate flights so I will be ok

Back