Using interior paint outside

NewEdition

I want to paint an outside bare brick wall white.
I intend to use a watered down exterior paint for the first coat and the second coat will be non watered down.

I have half a tub of interior white emulsion that is not needed - Whats the worse that could happen if I was to use that for the first watered down coat?? :)

Yea, agree with Páid, don't risk the top coat not bonding correctly with the first just to save a few quid.

I want to paint an outside bare brick wall white.
I intend to use a watered down exterior paint for the first coat and the second coat will be non watered down.

I have half a tub of interior white emulsion that is not needed - Whats the worse that could happen if I was to use that for the first watered down coat?? :)

Don't use interior paint outside or as someone else said it will flake off in a very short time. I wouldn't be for watering down the exterior paint either for an undercoat. It might cost you a small bit more now but you'll save money in the long run as you won't have to paint it as often plus you'll have a better job.

I thought as the brick is currently bare, the first coat shout be watered down to "seal" th ebricks.. Or something like that?

Are you putting paint on bricks or blocks? If it's bricks, what type are we talking about?
Either way it won't make any difference as regards interior paint being used outside, but if we knew what you're using it on you might be given better advice.

I thought as the brick is currently bare, the first coat shout be watered down to "seal" th ebricks.. Or something like that?

Check the manufacturer's guidance, [broken link removed] will advise you thin the first coat on a new surface:

New or sound bare surfaces should be sealed with a thinned first coat of the Weathershield masonry paint (smooth or textured) to ensure good adhesion of the finishing coat(s). Surfaces that remain powdery, friable or chalky after thorough preparation should be sealed with a coat of Dulux Weathershield Stabilising Primer, but never seal sound, new or bare surfaces with stabilising primer as it will do more harm than good.

Its bare blocks (not plastered) - Its the garden wall.. The grey colour makes it feel like a prison wall!

What you could do and it will only cost very little is, go to your local hardware store and buy a bag of hydrated lime and a big builders bucket. Mix some lime with ordinary water, get a good consistency and paint it on the wall. You'll need the 2nd coat but it's a cheap fix and will be grand. Put the remaining bag of lime into another bag and seal the top to use again when you want.

Back