Using expanding foam to fill gap between door frame and wall.

Gamblor72

Hi,

Does anyone know, if using expanding foam to fill 3 inch gaps between a door frame and a support (concrete) wall would shift or warp the door frame?

We've recently had some work done at home by a friend, but unfortunately the work is not very good. The door frames he used were not the same width as the walls, he had to pack them out, so that the architraves will be flush with the wall. Because the gaps are wider than the architraves, we'll have to (somehow) fill the gaps (to stop draughts etc), hence the expanding foam idea, and use painters mate (or whatever it's called) to blend in with the plaster. Will this work?

I know you'll read this thread and ask why he didn't use a bigger door (maybe the size wasn't available), don't, cos I keep asking myself the same question. At this stage I just want him to finish the job cos it's taken he at least four months to put in seven doors and he's still not finished, he works full time so he's doing it when he's not busy!! He's a carpenter by trade!!

Never ask friends to do any work in your house!! It's just not worth it.
Thanks,
Gamblor.

Hmmm.. I'm not sure if I have this right but door frames are supposed to be packed or shimmed... maybe not to the extent yours are but it might still be normal... a photo would be nice.

I have a very authorative book on first and second fix carpentry, I'll have a look at it and see what the craic is... I'm a cabinet maker rather than a carpenter.

I can't see a problem with using the foam though....

Cheers
Joe

We used expanding foam to fill an inch/inch and a half gap with no problems. This was between the door-frame and the framing for the door gap. The architrave then went on over the foam and covered it. The foam sets like a rock, so you don't need to worry about the stability, IMO. There were about ten doors like this and none have warped or moved after two years.

Another reason for doing it is to prevent sound transmission through the gap.

Not sure about having to plaster over it, though (haven't tried that except to fill a hole in a wall and the results took a lot of sanding!).

I have used the expanding foam many times in the last few months for various jobs and think it`s one of the best inventions for years!! It wil do the job you require perfectly....just be careful if using for the first time you must use the tin upside down!....dampen the surfaces to be bonded with a plant sprayer type thingy..works a treat, if you get it on your hands or clothes its difficult to remove.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back