Using bamboo as a screen in the garden

gebbel

Does anyone know anything about using bamboo to cover up an unplastered 2m x 8m garden wall? How long would it last and would it be hard to install myself?

We put some up 2 years ago but it has all come down this winter with all the wind etc & looks pretty crap.
I would recommend planting a laurel hedge or something for a longer term solution...................or going halves with next door neighbour and building solid wall for longer term! o sorry i see you have a wall.........why do you want to cover the wall up.............we used the bamboo for privacy to cover up a fence which was seethrough.........

The wall is not plastered and does not look very nice as the opposite wall is! I was thinking of getting it plastered and painting it but someone suggested the bamboo as a kind of camouflage against the bare blocks. I have seen photos and it looks very well. Only if it starts to disintegrate after only 2 years I`m not sure I will bother!

Last edited:
ah ok I see. Well i would not recommend the bamboo after what happened ours. Defo either plaster it, or why not plant some nice climbing plants up it - clematis etc.

You should get it plastered, 400 - 500E, if you decided to sell, not everybody finds bamboo attractive

Paint the wall. It does not need to be plastered. You may need to seal the wall first if it is a new wall. I painted mine, actually I ' plastered' it with paint. It made the garden so bright and threw light into my kitchen.

Paint the wall. It does not need to be plastered. You may need to seal the wall first if it is a new wall. I painted mine, actually I ' plastered' it with paint. It made the garden so bright and threw light into my kitchen.

Your right Bluebells, painting directly to the wall is the cheaps and most effective way.

Plastering would be if gebbel required high quality finish.

gebbel, let us know what you decide on?

Jaid

Back