Using a lot of Oil?

slookie

Hi all. Moved into our new build in November - 2900sq ft, 5 bedroom, storey and half. We have 20 rads all varying in sizes. Anyway, we got 500 litres of oil in September to dry out the house before we moved in. We were told by the oil crowd that it would take 2 or 3 fills of oil to dry out the house properly. At this stage we had the heating on for maybe 4 hours a day to dry out. We moved into the house on the weekend of 21 November and that weekend we actually ran out of oil.. 500 litres gone! We got a full fill of 1016 litres on Mon 24 Nov. Again it was timed to come on for hour in morning and 2 in evening....plus the odd time for an hour here and here when it was very cold. Then on 12 Feb we got a top up and it needed 682 litres...so we had used 698 in under 12 weeks?? Is this normal. The house is split in 3 zones - 2 downstairs and 1 upstairs. Upstairs is off most of the time so thats 15 rads left...any suggestions?

Re: Using alot of Oil?

What kind of boiler do you have? What efficiency?

How big are your windows? Double glazed? What spec?

What spec insulation in walls? Attic? Floors?

What kind of doors?

What ventilation? Do you leave windows / vents open?

How exposed is the site?

How much passive solar heat do you capture (aspect, shading)?

Do you have thermostats? What are they set to?

Do you think has the house dried out yet?

Does your oil heat your water? Do you use a lot of hot water?

Well that would be about right if its on 6 hrs a day and using all rads.
i.e i use 5 rads,have heat on 2 hours AM and 2 Hours PM. got 500lts nov 27th and checked leval about 2 weeks ago and i have just under half left.

Re: Using alot of Oil?

What kind of boiler do you have? What efficiency?
Its a Grant condensing boiler...I know it was one of most efficent on the market 6 months ago, but dont know exact figures.

How big are your windows? Double glazed? What spec?
2 bay windows to front of house...big enough. Rest are standard. Yes double glazed and filled with Argon in between...make sense? Supplied and fitted by Munster Joinery.

What spec insulation in walls? Attic? Floors?
Kingspan insulation in walls. The white aeroboard stuff in floors downstairs. Have concrete floors upstairs. Yellow fibreglass in attic and partition walls.

What kind of doors?
Solid red deal doors...all fitted perfect...no draughts.

What ventilation? Do you leave windows / vents open?
Standard vent in every room. Covered inside and outside with standard slanted vent covers. However i stuffed in between with loads of old clothes to stop the main draught, but to still allow a bit through.

How exposed is the site?
Site fairly open...no big trees etc around.

How much passive solar heat do you capture (aspect, shading)?

Do you have thermostats? What are they set to?
Ya 3 stats. 2 downstairs set for 21 degrees and one upstairs is off most of time...set at 21 aswell though.

Do you think has the house dried out yet?
Yes

Does your oil heat your water? Do you use a lot of hot water?
Yes. Stat set to 75 degrees for water. Wife showers every day at home, I have mine at work during week. So thats 10 Showers a week. Jacuzzi bath used twice in 3 months. Hot water for wash up, wash machine and dishwasher.

One more question. If I close the valve fully on the left of rad...flow valve?....and then open it for 1 or 2 turns, would it make a difference to oil being used? I did it to the 5 rads upstairs yesterday. The stat was still set to 21 degrees, but only had them open a small bit and they were still quiet warm. But is it worth it?

...so we had used 698 in under 12 weeks??

What were you expecting the cost of heating the house to be?

At 45 cent a litre that's about €25 euro a week for heating and hot water - not bad for a 2900 sq ft house.

What ventilation? ......stuffed in between with loads of old clothes to stop the main draught

You should have (or should get) vent covers which you can slide closed on the inside wall of your house. Blocking up vents is not a good idea - the posters here explain that http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=16903

One more question. If I close the valve fully on the left of rad...flow valve?....and then open it for 1 or 2 turns, would it make a difference to oil being used? I did it to the 5 rads upstairs yesterday. The stat was still set to 21 degrees, but only had them open a small bit and they were still quiet warm. But is it worth it?

Why do you have a thermostat if you are going to start messing with the rad valve?

If you want to burn less oil, turn down the stat. If you need the room to be 21 degrees, what's the point of reducing the flow thru the rad?

Likewise, why stuff your vents with old clothes? There are easier / more accurate ways to control the amount of ventilation.

Overall, your house sounds pretty well set up. Is the hot water tank lagged? You will save some oil by turning the stat down a bit from 75 as well.

I think its just down to the size of the place. Its a lot of space to heat.

Also, those 12 weeks were prob the coldest 12 week spell in about 20 years in Ireland, so hopefully you won't be burning 60 litres a week all winter, and you should be burning far far less for the warmer 6 months of the year, those windows will capture and retain a fair bit of passive solar energy.

Back