Useless DIY superstores... grrrr...

• Thread starter Johnny Wishbone
  • Start date
!

...a special delivery from England...

I believe that's part of the problem. Head office is nearly always over in England. We just get the monkeys.

Did you get some rice?

Rose, dear neighbour. I see you have experienced the staff in Super Value as well. The gang of 4 that gossip around the cheese/yoghurt area, blocking the aisle, customers have to walk around them. The foul mouthed butcher. The milk all over the floor area in front of the display. The checkout staff that gossip to each other and ignore you the customer. The management that look down their nose at you. I think that I actually enjoy shopping there in a masochistically way, seeing what will happen next. Great fun.

supervalue

Flied rice

The best is that amadan with the english accent that works at the wine counter
he virtually accused me of being an alco when I was buying one of their special offers , buy two get one free
but those supervisors ,don't get me started !!
and the way one of them bullies the youngsters
I deliberately look for a mistake just to piss them off
( I'm the one with only special offers in the trolley maybe that's why they don't like me )

Re: moan, moan, moan...move on!

Piggy, spot on the mark there - we are definitely a completely apathetic nation when it comes to dealing with the consumer AND doing anything proactive in complaining about being treated as such! As regards consumer groups, surely this whole problem could be dealt with by the Director of Consumer Affairs. More appropriate however might be the Consumers' Association of Ireland

Rose/Flied Lice - We should urge EVERYONE on this thread to do a little bit of shopping in the Super Valu in question - just buy 5 or 6 items but make sure ALL of them carry some kind of promo offer or freebie!! That'll learn 'em!! :lol

Re: moan, moan, moan...move on!

I've said it before, A Watchdog style program would be one of the most watched shows in Ireland if we had it. And there would be endless material to fill such a show.

But we won't have one, because RTE is a commercial station which relies on Ad revenue. It's comical to listen to Derek Davis on Liveline, only allowing people to name companies if you have something good to say about them.

There was a case with a Canadian girl and a Car Hire company. I'd love to know who the company was but she wasn't allowed to name it. She was allowed to name Hertz because they sorted out the problem for her and were very helpful.

COME ON RTE. Get the finger out.

-Rd

The trouble is that these shows are all about entertainment with little genuine regard for public service. They're not going to risk a lawsuit on the basis of what 'a woman in Clontarf' considers bad form.

However, a dedicated consumer-oriented programme along the lines of the ".... from Hell" format that was used on ITV would be both useful and entertaining. Whether RTE would have the wit or vision to rise above the glib is questionable, however.

Re: ..

RTE. Taking the vision out of Television.

Anyway, end of tangent. Back to the DIY stores.

-Rd

Re: ..

Jeez, this is the best "grumpy old (wo)men" thread in ages...!

Here's my tuppence-worth: stopped into my local Dixons a couple of months ago, looking for info on & to try out a digital camera I was interested in. Same experience as has been described above — glassy-eyed morons, took 10 minutes just to get their attention (which was immediately interrupted every time their 'phone rang, I just had trouble spotting the difference!), knew absolutely nothing about the camera in question (nor, presumably, any other item in the store), etc., etc.

Best of all was when I asked to have a look at the particular model, and the eejit told me they'd none in stock — when it was sitting in the display case about 18 inches behind his shoulder..! Of course, when I pointed this out, he snappily answered that he didn't have a key to the display case..!

I'd have pushed it further, but by this stage I'd no intention of actually buying the thing from Dixons anyway, and walked away. God alone knows what they're teaching them in schools these days, but self-confidence and assertiveness-even-when-you're-completely-wrong are obviously high on the list of required "life skills"!

Happy ending — on my way out the door, I noticed that they'd a pile of Philips 52x CD-Rs in boxes of 10 incorrectly priced at €7.49 (with proper jewel cases, not those poxy slimline things... I say incorrectly because, right next to it, they were selling boxes of 20 at €19.99, and lower-spec cheapies in boxes of 10 at €9.99...)

Needless to say, I said nothing, bought two boxes, and have happily continued to do so ever since... God bless Dixons, Limerick. Whoever the manager is, if (s)he employs apes like I dealt with that day, (s)he deserves to discover the error some time down the line...

So there. Ya, boo, and sucks to your asthma, young man... ;)

Helpful DIY store!!!

Don't know why I never mentioned this before as I've never had any problem shopping there, but McQuillan's hardware (Blanch or Capel St.) is by far the best large DIY store around. Out I went again on Saturday on the hunt for the elusive lawnmower and strimmer - stupidly I decided to give Atlantic (Blanchardstown) another chance, how wrong I was. I was delighted to find out that their line of Black & Decker strimmers were half price, only to find out moments later that they had been reduced as they were shipped to Atlantic Homecare without any cutting attachments.

Me - "How do I go about getting a cutting attachment for it?".
Useless Gombeen Assistant - "Dunno, buy another one somewhere else and take the cutting attachment off that".
Me - "You never did maths in school did you?"

Utter, UTTER, gobshitery! Anyway, I wasn't in McQuillan's 2 minutes when I was approached by the store manager to ask if he could help. He knocked €20 off a €50 Bosch strimmer for me. Whoever knew that €30 could buy you happiness :lol It's the little things in life....

Helpful DIY store!!!

Not DIY but I have to share this with someone: I went into the ESB shop in Nutgrove yesterday to see if they had any computer monitors, thinking like the ass hole I am that I should give an Irish shop a chance. They had a few in stock and a sale on nice 15" plasma screen TV's (small enough to fit in my bedroom).
I said to myself "F it, I will treat myself, I'm overdrawn anyway" and approached the only sales person in the shop. He would be with me in a minute....................................... 25 minutes later I got sick of standing around and went to some English shop in the Square.
Bunch of pampered s**ts, sack them all!!

Silver Nissan Micra.

My youngest son said he was going to buy his first car a second hand Nissan Micra from some small car dealership near the Naas road. Being the concerned dad I decided to make similar enquiries southside near where I live. I called to well known local garage and spoke to one of the sales agents who said that he was getting a clean, spotless, mint, as new 2000 Nissan Micra in next week with only 8000 miles on the clock, one lady owner.
Rang son. He came over to have a look at it with me. A number of scrapes and a few dents, we were a little disappointed. Sales agent said it would clean up like new and to call back next day. Which I did.

I asked had it been crashed. No. Only the wing mirror damaged and resprayed. I was a little more disappointed.
My wife wanted to have a look so next day we went back again. My wife noticed the front bumper/wing slightly out of line. Oh, only a small dent when the lady was driving in the gate but I will ring her just to clarify.

Next day we call back. Oh she just crashed in to her side gate but no major damage, we will fix up bumper and side wing as new. Oh and she has had the rear bumper replaced!!!!!

This car had 8000 miles on the clock. It had been bashed on four sides and this guy was trying to sell it as spotless, like new, perfect condition.

I had noticed the owners address on the tax form so I decided to drive to where she lived and maybe find out the truth only to discover that the gardens were open plan with no front gates etc. So no way did this lady drive in to her frong gate because she didn't have one.

What was scary was that this was a well known dealership. Maybe my son would have been better off dealing with the small car dealership near the Naas road.

Back