Used Fiat Punto..is it worth it?

inasoup

Planning to buy a small second hand car. Was mostly looking at Nissan Micra and Toyota Yaris. Saw a good offer for a Fiat Punto. Anybody driven one? Is it a good car? Does it have any resale value?

Drove one for 5 years. During that time had to replace the exhaust and clutch. Got rid of it when the head gasket was about to go. I bought it second hand and it had 30k on the clock and I did about 50k. They aren't the most reliable cars, had a few little problems too. They lose a lot of value, hence why you saw a good deal on the Punto you were looking at.

The Punto has a much more roomy interior (and boot) than either the Yaris or the Micra. I've had two and neither were especially problematic to be honest. A little noisy at speed and interior is a bit plastic-y but nothing that would put me off owning another. I miss the City button which loosens up the steering for parking in tight spots.

They do drive nicely, but just ask a mechanic whether he'd recommend one over a Micra or a Yaris and watch him chuckle.

I have had garage people recommend Punto over Japanese cars, actually. I find it is a bit of a myth that mechanics would recommend micra or yaris over punto.

I think I will avoid it but have to admit that it looked 'spacious'. I've narrowed down to the Opel Corsa and the Nissan Micra. Expert comments/opinions are appreciated.

I use to drive one years ago from time to time.

I did find it very spacious inside which if you are very tall would be an advantage. I found it grand for town driving but on the open road, it was very noisy, so much so you'd be turning up the radio to hear it.

Drove my punto for about 8 years with no problems what so ever, don't recall it being particularly noisy; I seem to remember when I was buying it new on the last car scrappage offers that it faired very well on car safety issues.

Back