Used credit cards to part buy an investment property - where can I refinance it?

I was basing it on T&Cs from when I took a personal loan from Barclays, I remember it stating the funds could not be used towards a house deposit. Good to know it is possible.
Back in the day I don't remember no T&C's from the credit union. I just went in with my book and they noted the loan down in it, plus your payments etc. And the other benefit at that time was CU's did not appear on your credit reports, I think they do now.

Who are you insuring a 4 bedroom house with that sleeps 10 people on short term lets?

Allianz covers short term lets for up to 12 people. I am similiar to the OP, I also do short term lets in a house in very tourist area near the cliffs of mohair. I also make up to 1000 euro a week in peak season, 5 bedrooms. I phoned my local council earlier in the year and a lady said although I should apply for planning, it's not currently being enforced, so for now I need do nothing and just carry on with what I am doing. Her words! I will not rent out my lovely holiday house on a long term basis until such time I have a guarantee that a non paying tennent can be kicked out within a week or two of non payment and that also they are liable for any damage done to the property. For now booking.com and Airbnb all the way!

Please note, a tremendous amount of work is involved in this venture, keeping a spotless house, endless laundry, breakfast, meet and greet,and up to 14 hour working days. In addition half the year I am practically empty.

Last edited:
With a rumoured crack-down on landlords ignoring the new short-term let restrictions, do you have the correct planning in place? If the crack-down does come, I'd imagine the financial institutions may look for confirmation on such properties.

These restrictions do not currently apply to tourist areas in the west of Ireland , mainly the cities, particularly Dublin. Tourism is the life blood of rural Ireland, short term lets benefit the local economy hugely esp in places where there are few hotels. Of course all of this can change but I think it will be some time before it does.

Allianz covers short term lets for up to 12 people. I am similiar to the OP, I also do short term lets in a house in very tourist area near the cliffs of mohair. I also make up to 1000 euro a week in peak season, 5 bedrooms. I phoned my local council earlier in the year and a lady said although I should apply for planning, it's not currently being enforced, so for now I need do nothing and just carry on with what I am doing. Her words! I will not rent out my lovely holiday house on a long term basis until such time I have a guarantee that a non paying tennent can be kicked out within a week or two of non payment and that also they are liable for any damage done to the property. For now booking.com and Airbnb all the way!

Please note, a tremendous amount of work is involved in this venture, keeping a spotless house, endless laundry, breakfast, meet and greet,and up to 14 hour working days. In addition half the year I am practically empty.

A fierce amount of hassle for not very much money when everyone has their touch out of it, but it's your choice. Wouldn't be mine though.

These restrictions do not currently apply to tourist areas in the west of Ireland ,

The requirement to have correct planning to use a property as a short term let existed prior to the recent RPZ related restrictions. There seems to be more talk of a crack-down, if that comes, it may not be limited to the cities.

The requirement to have correct planning to use a property as a short term let existed prior to the recent RPZ related restrictions. There seems to be more talk of a crack-down, if that comes, it may not be limited to the cities.

It did but as I said above it has never been enforced.

Now I don't want to be detailing from the original question :confused:

You actually think Kerry, Clare or Galway county council are going to crack down on this. Councils don't want to know. Way too much hassle and cost to doing so.

What crack down has there been in Cork, Limerick or Galway city by the way?

What crack down has there been in Cork, Limerick or Galway city by the way?

I don't live in those regions, so don't monitor their enforcement actions.

The legal position remains that in order to let a unit on a short term basis, the appropriate planning permission must be in place. We do not condone illegal activity on AAM, nor do we allow posters encourage others to break the law.

The legal position remains that in order to let a unit on a short term basis, the appropriate planning permission must be in place. We do not condone illegal activity on AAM, nor do we allow posters encourage others to break the law.

By condoning illegal activity I presume then you'll have to delete this thread as the OP mentioned he is acting illegally as he doesn't have the relevant planning permission.

Of course I myself did a spot of that what with my illegal converation that now can't be touched by the corporations as the statute of limitations is up. One presumes there is some kind of staute of limitations on councils acting on the Air B&B's 2. I read your link, and I didn't see Dublin City council actually doing anything.

By condoning illegal activity I presume then you'll have to delete this thread as the OP mentioned he is acting illegally as he doesn't have the relevant planning permission
@Sean Og never mentioned anything about acting illegally. He asked a question about refinancing debt, and the topic was brought off topic about planning permission. If you check, he hasn't responded to any questions on the matter.

my illegal converation that now can't be touched

While enforcement is no longer an option, owners of illegal developments can and do run into problems selling such properties, and run a risk of any future development on the site being refused until such time as planning is regularised on what's there.

While enforcement is no longer an option, owners of illegal developments can and do run into problems selling such properties, and run a risk of any future development on the site being refused until such time as planning is regularised on what's there.

I don't get this, are you talking about carrying out short-term lets without planning and then running into problems when selling on?

That's it sorted so. They don't enforce the planning regulations regarding short term lets here in the west, I was told to carry on with what I was doing....for now :)

Back