Used Car - Advice Please !!!

Techie

Hi Folks,
I am looking to buy used car and always have BMW's in mind. I am city center based and walk to office so I'd be consuming very less mileage say 5000 kms in an year. The main reason going for a car is just to take kids out over the weekends to the nearby sports, parks and to visit few friends place. I am only here for the last 5 years and never driven a car in Ireland but having 15 years of driving experience abroad. I know it sounds crazy to look for a luxurious car for such a low mileage but I always wanted to drive a nice, smooth car with less road noise and thought BMW would suit my needs (I could be wrong? I don't know :confused: ) I am with provisional license and I am aware of the insurance charges. One of the insurance company is ok to insure the car I liked (BMW 2011, 3 series) for €2500 with an excess of €3000 per claim. Insurance even for the smaller engines are very expensive for the provisional license holders. I am planning to appear for driving test in few months time, Would the insurance charge for year 2 comes down If I have the full license?

I am looking for 3 series preferably F30 (2012) and upwards as I have heard lots of stories about timing chain issues from the car models until 2011. My budget is around 10k and could push little bit upwards if the car is really nice. Most of the F30's on the market are 100k miles and upwards and I have read that the maintenance for BMW's becomes expensive especially for the ones with 100k miles and upwards, as it seems to give some repairs/replacement work often. Is that true?

Considering my circumstances is it good to go for Diesel or Petrol? Is petrol BMW's offer smoother ride than Diesel counterparts?

I am looking for cars in donedeal and carzone and liked the following 2 models

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-3-series-2012-full-beige-leather/18995649
I really liked the black body with beige interior and the dealer is promising the 2 year warranty to cover major parts for additional €350. The car is already clocked 99k miles so worried if it would start giving trouble anytime from now on?

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-316i-se-petrol-low-miles/20241159
Not a big fan of white body but liked it due to the clean look, petrol engine and very low mileage. but it is a private sale!

I am very amateur in buying the used car so please advise me what to look for, how to look for and which would be the best based on my circumstances. Thanks for reading and I really appreciate your valuable response

Thanks,
Techie

having 15 years of driving experience abroad
I am with provisional license
I take it your previous licence is not transferable to Ireland in that case? Honestly sort out your full licence before starting to consider buying a car

The main reason going for a car is just to take kids out over the weekends to the nearby sports, parks and to visit few friends place.
If you had a full licence I would tell you to look at gocar - but they need 2 years on full licence. You can contact them and see what they say, as they may take your previous driving experience into consideration

I'd be consuming very less mileage say 5000 kms in an year.
I always wanted to drive a nice, smooth car with less road noise
Suggest electric would be much better for you, and as quiet as a mouse :)

In terms of the other cars - won't comment as car purchases are a very personal matter !

Hi Techie,

Like gnf I would say get your full licence first before anything else.

Try having a read through these key posts and even if they are somewhat dated you should get some good advice from them. Personally I would not even look at DoneDeal :)

Might be worth your while to hire out a BMW for a week-end even, to see if you like them. Probably just me but I would not consider a BMW a family car to bring the kids out in.

Last edited:
With your proposed annual mileage, forget about diesel engines - petrol or hybrid. Forget about electric only - we have no infrastructure in place to refuel electric cars and no electric cars with decent trip mileage available.

As above, get your full licence first but also be aware that if you have driven extensively in L/H drive cars, that may count against you insurance wise.

Last edited:
So it looks like I have only limited choice with Provisional license. I have got few quote for cars Volkswagen UP 1.0, Volkswagen polo 1.2 and Toyota Yaris 1.3 all 2011,2012 models just to see if it makes any difference in quote price but NO, its only €150 less than the quote for BMW (with no excess of course)

Many of my friends are advising me to buy a car first get used to the Irish roads and driving habit before appearing for the test, because most of them failed in their first test even with plenty of driving experience abroad. The National average seems to be 52.90%) and some of the test centers in Dublin are less than 45%

Coming back to my original question. Is BMW F30 with 100k miles and up worth considering?

Last edited:
Back