US Gaming Tax

Redzer

Hi,

I've a 15 year old who has spent a lot of his free time over the past 18 months gaming online (Fortnight) and has earned over $5k in prize money. The organisers deduct 30% withholding tax on behalf of the IRS. Is there any way he can get that back or get the benefit of it in Ireland whenever he starts working here?

Thanks for any advice.

Hi again,

Just enquiring again about any advice on claiming back US tax deducted from my now 16 year old son or potential Irish Credits he could carry forward
Its been a good year for him and he's earned over $10k in prize money but had 30% withheld.
Anyone here know anything about US Tax system and if he should submit Form W-8 BEN and Form 1040?

Any guidance appreciated. Thanks

Don't know about claiming back previously withheld US tax, but would a W-8BEN (or similar) form be relevant here to avoid future withholdings? I'm also not sure if/how his minor status affects matters.

Last edited:
Thanks ClubMan. They look like the appropriate forms. I'd be a bit anxious engaging with 'Uncle Sam' so was also hoping for a bit of comfort from anyone who'd been through the process :). We'll give it a go anyway.

I've never had any problems with the W-8BEN process in relation to my E-Trade account. I've never had to file a US tax return or claim to date though.

Back