us airways - bankrupt

MargeSimpson

I just heard that US airways is either Bankrupt or being bought out.
We have flights home booked with them for some time in May.
How does this affect us. If they stop fliying will another company accept our tickets or do we get stranded and left to get home on our own?
Must ring the TA!

US Airways have been in Chapter 11 Bankruptcy (a regular home for many US airlines) for quite a while ... nothing new I think here ... it's likely they may eventually go under - they are the weakest of the US majors .. but it's not likely imminently

I have not heard of any significant changes recently -there's been speculation of a merger with America West as way out of bankruptcy but nothing concrete I don't think .. I wouldn't be worried for next month you'll get home alright!

no Red. Flying home from the US on US airways. And there are more airports in Ireland than just Dublin airport......... :)

Txs EvilDoctorK - won't be concerned then

I have been offered a good deal on a US Airways return flight for Sept.
Is it a big risk to take it?

if you book it with your credit card, you will not end up out of pocket in the event of the airline folding.
As was mentioned earlier - almost all of the major US airlines have been teethering on the brink of chapter 11 bankruptcy for the past 4/5 years - with some slipping into it every so often. If you were to avoid booking of the basis of this - you would not fly very often.

Back