Urgent Ryanair Baggage Help!

N

nycfly89

Hello all!

I am flying on Ryanair tomorrow for the first time with cabin baggage. I am wondering if I can get your opinions on my bag, and make sure that it will be "cleared" to board the plane with me.

I am not allowed to post URLs yet, but if you go to ebags.com and search for the London Fog Fog Lites 21" Upright, that is my bag.

The dimensions are as follows: 21"x14"x8.5".. this converts to the maximum Ryanair carry-on baggage allowance I am pretty sure.

Any tips or comments are greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Its tight! You should be ok as long as they dont make you actually put it into the tester, which I have never been asked to do

It would appear your luggage exceeds the maximum permitted dimensions listed here -

Only one of your measurements is slightly over the allowance ie depth of 8.5 inches = 22cm.
My carry-on bag measures 23cm and fits in the gauge. The trick is don't pack it too tightly and give a little push into the gauge if necessary

Also don't forget the maximum weight you can bring on board is 10kg. But unless you are carrying rocks, your bag won't take that weight of normal clothes

Not sure if this is too late or not......

But last time I flew I was asked to put my bag in the test thing, and it was SLIGHTLY too large- but they let me in anyway.

Woman behind me wasnt so lucky however!

I was in Manchester Airport recently & as people were in the queue for the boarding gate there was a Ryanair employee walking around with a cardboard bottomless box & was placing it over some passengers luggage.

He place it over one of my friend’s bag – it didn’t fit over it & he was told that his luggage size was above the restrictions (even though he had bought it specifically for Ryanair trips & it was within the restrictions). He then walked up to the tester frame & it fitted in no problem.

The problem was that the Ryanair cardboard tester is too small. Go figure!

Brainwave - why don't luggage shops have one of the metal bag measurer thingies - then you could measure your bag before you buy. I know airlines differ a bit in what they allow, but they could (a) have different ones or (b) have the smallest

Just bought a Tripp Superlite Cabin luggage bag in Debenhams for €64 reduced from €104 especially for Ryanair. Blue only at the moment, black is bought up very quickly.They have a bag measurer in luggage dept also.

they are now checking the luggage at Dublin Airport, so expect to pay if your case is to large. play it safe and get a smaller case.

Just wondering do you need to book non cabin baggage at the time of booking flights or can you book online prior to check in. First time travelling with ryan air so unclear what to do and didnt book baggage when booking flight. Will I have to pay more for not booking at time of booking flight

Just bought a Samsonite Lyra at the Outlet especially to fit the Ryan air cabin requirement, waited weeks for it to come in but worth it in the end.

Just wondering do you need to book non cabin baggage at the time of booking flights or can you book online prior to check in. First time travelling with ryan air so unclear what to do and didnt book baggage when booking flight. Will I have to pay more for not booking at time of booking flight

You can go back to the website and add a bag at any time before the flight (probably up to four hours beforehand, but if last minute then reprint your boarding cards!!), it's under manage my booking or something like that. You pay what you would have if you'd done it when booking. Definitely the cheaper option than just turning up at the airport with the bag!!

(probably up to four hours beforehand, but if last minute then reprint your boarding cards!!)

You can only add bags - or make any other changes for that matter - before checking in. Once you have checked in, it is too late. So always make sure to add bags, if any, before doing online check-in.

You can only add bags - or make any other changes for that matter - before checking in. Once you have checked in, it is too late. So always make sure to add bags, if any, before doing online check-in.
Not true actually. From - footnote at bottom "*Up to 4 hours prior to your scheduled flight departure you can purchase online - checked bags, priority boarding, sports/infant equipment and musical instruments even if you have already checked in online for your flight"
I do this when I'm not sure when I'll be coming home - book two cheap flights a couple of days apart but only add the extras when I know exactly which one I'll be taking.

Thanks orka for pointing out my mistake. It might be on Aer Lingus then that changes are not permitted after you have checked in. I will have a look at the conditions when I check in for my next flight tomorrow.

Brainwave - why don't luggage shops have one of the metal bag measurer thingies - then you could measure your bag before you buy. I know airlines differ a bit in what they allow, but they could (a) have different ones or (b) have the smallest

I was in Adamson's Luggage (adamsonluggage.com) down past the Gaeity Theatre a few weeks ago and they had a Ryanair bag-measurement-thingy in the shop, so you could do exactly as you proposed.

I've no connection with them, other than as a satisfied customer of their repair service.

A lot of baggage companies now make suitcases specifically designed to be hand luggage so they fit snugly into the frame. However, try not to overpack as I had a bulging suitcase on a flight recently and had to really push it to get it within the frame; just about got away with it

Great - just about to pack the bags & realise one of the hold all's we have always used when travelling with them, is 50*30*25......(their allowance is 55*40*20)

So even though it is smaller than what they allow, I assume they won't allow is as they are clamping down so much. Anyone use a holdall recently as I would suspect most holdalls won't fit (they are generally more square)

Back