Urgent advice needed - RATS

What is a "good" cat, and how can you tell if he is one? I've heard that rats and mice don't co-exist, that if you have one you won't have the other, or is this just a myth to placate people?

"Good Cat" is a very loose term to describe a feline with the ability to dispose of rats! Rats, as many will know, grow to a fair size, to quote many people , " I saw a rat & he was as big as me dog". Rats are well capable of killing cats when threatened so to qualify as a good cat it wouldnt want to be a big cat with a good mean streak I suppose! I woud like to stress I am not a cat "expert"!!!
With regard to how close you are to a rat at any time I have also heard its a lot closer than 100m also!

Parents had rats out their back garden a couple of years back. There were a load of gardens affected and the council came out and laid bait etc. It took a couple of weeks but they sorted the problem out.

i agree with the poison in narrow pipes and keep doing it until no more poison is being taken....
or what my better half did was stand at our porch window and waited for mr rat to appear and then shot him (but we live in the country)

I heard terriers are good for rats !!!!

I have used poison and traps (and a sweeping brush) to kill mice. We had a family of them and the traps got four and the sweeping brush got three.
I only had a rat in the garden once and killed it with an old fashioned trap. If using one be careful to keep it away from children as it can break their hand.
I hate cats so they would never be an option (I think I’d rather have the rat!)

Instant = Traps, bigger the better, pretty gruesome but you see results
Cleanest=Poison takes a bit longer &have to monitor bait stations etc.
Cats not a runner really unless you own a puma/cougar
Dogs good but are you gonna bring one in just to cure a rat problem?!
And obviously waiting for them with a cocked shotgun is always the option if your looking to have fun along the way!!!

Check around the house to make sure it is rodent proofed. Check around pipes, cables etc entering the house to make sure they are sealed. A gap bigger than a pencil will let in a mouse. brush strips on the bottoms of external doors will prevent mice entering under them. Often after having the kitchen replaced or plumbing work done in the house there will be gaps around pies or holes in walls which have not been sealed. Fill with concrete. Expanding foam is useless. Also check vents from dryers or extract hoods. The type with movable flaps often cause problems as they jam open or the flaps fall off. Cover with small gauge wire mesh. Damaged air bricks (for houses with suspended floors) can also allow the access of rodents. Cat flaps in doors which are not controlled by a unit around the cats neck will also allow rodents to enter. As said earlier by posters some cats are useless so a cat flap and a bowl of food inside the door will be very inviting! Covers missing on esternal tv cable boxes can also allow entry. Rats are good climbers so also look above head height for any possible entry points.

I have a little jack russell terrier and about a two months ago I saw her with something in the garden and it was a rat. These dogs are supposed to be good 'ratters' think thats what they were bred for

Buy a tub of "storm" try to drill out a hole and then use wire to anchor the bait - this way the rat has to eat the bait otherwise it may just hoard it in the nest and you will never get rid of the buggers.

You could also put a few nails onto a bit of timber, leave the nail protruding a few inches and put a piece of bait on each nail. cover to keep dry.

It is well known that rats hate the smell of Jeyes Fluid. I do not know how I know this, it is just one of those things I have always known.
If you fill a watering can with a strong solution of water and Jeyes Fluid and spread it around the garden, it will make the environment unpleasant to the rat.
However, be careful since the JF will kill weeds and plants if applied directly. But it is harmless to humans unless consumed.
The only real solution to your problem is to kill the rats.

Back