Upgrade of pentium3 - 500

H

horse

Folks,
I have an old Dell optiplex pentium 3 - 500 Mhz computer which I intend to pass on to my brother. I told him that the hard drive was only 10 gigs and he asked me if I would put a larger hard drive in. I went onto the net and purchased a 200 gig Western Digital hard drive which was rated at 100 ATA. When I installed the hard drive, the system didn't recogonise it even though I did a lot of fluting around with what was Master and what was Slave. Does the fact that it was ATA 100 have any bearing on it? The present drive in the system (Maxtor) indicates that if the jumper pin is left "in" it is in Master/Single mode but when removed it is in slave mode. Any contributions welcome.
Regards,
Horse

Horse,

You might get more techies to help with your problem on this site

Upgrading

On older computers it was necessary to "flash" the bios chip on the system board so it could support larger drives. Now on more recent drives that isn't necessary.
Firstly assuming you have set the drive as a master drive using the jumper setting on the back, you should enter the BIOS and see if it detects the new drive.
Also make sure you have a power cable and data cable attached also.
If it does your in business if it doesn't their maybe a BIOs update that you can download depending on the BIOS chip that you have.

Back