Upgrade BER rating in 1950s 3 bed semi

thejuggler

I'm looking at purchasing a house at present in Cork. It is a 1950s extended 3 bed semi d with a G BER rating

I've read through the BER report and the main issues seem to be the pvc doors and windows (some of which are single glazed) and insulation. Also the heating controls on the Gas central heating need to be upgraded.

I'm hoping to get an idea of costs to replace windows and doors and to get pumped insulation in the walls (presume this is the best method)

Anyone been through this process and what were the costs like? Looking for double maybe triple glazing - presume just changing the glass is not an option in an older property.

What is the wall construction method? You can only effectively pump cavity walls,external insulation is the best bet otherwise.

Look up the [broken link removed] site for details of grants available under the Better Energy Homes scheme, and Revenue for details on the Home Renovation Incentive (HRI) Scheme.

What is the wall construction method? You can only effectively pump cavity walls,external insulation is the best bet otherwise.

Look up the [broken link removed] site for details of grants available under the Better Energy Homes scheme, and Revenue for details on the Home Renovation Incentive (HRI) Scheme.

Thanks Leo. Had a closer look at the property today. Non cavity walls so would have to be external insulation. In addition to the insulation it needs to be drylined rewired and likely new plumbing and heating. Also saw signs of dampness in one of the rooms. Looks like it could be a money pit

You wont get much change out of 80 to 100K
if you do buy it get an airtightness test done first and pay close attention to the roof insulation: budget for stripping and re lathing and felting with breathable felt.
My guess is the dampness is in the North east ceiling/walls corner of a bedroom with a hip roof.:cool:

External insulation 15-20k at most
Heating upgrade 7-10k at most
Windows pvc 10k at most
Attic insulation €700 at most

Grants also available from Seai for the above

You wont get much change out of 80 to 100K
My guess is the dampness is in the North east ceiling/walls corner of a bedroom with a hip roof.:cool:
Actually it was in the downstairs single story extension on the north east side

Actually it was in the downstairs single story extension on the north east side

which is in effect same as upstairs in a two storey.

Also air tightness waste of time on an old house. Try thermal imaging survey instead

Pray tell the audience what scientific basis the above is based on:
Set out the pros and cons of each method.

To help you get started:
The A/T test will give u a value that will be tied into Part L
"a performance level of 7 m3/(h.m2) represents a reasonable upper limit for air permeability. "
and that can give a euro value of heat loss.

So what benefits will the T/I offer, other than nice colours?

For the Audience wouldn't bother with air tightness or thermal imaging tbh in his situation which is my entitled opinion

Part L compliance is not necessary on a refurb

I believe it is possible to upgrade the dwelling to reasonable standard without spending €100k as suggested

An air tightness test on a house of that vintage is just likely to to tell you there's huge air loss, possibly even in excess of what the equipment is capable of measuring unless they've a really powerful pump. So you'll just get a number telling you how much air is escaping, it won't tell you all the points it's escaping from. That's where a thermal scan is more suitable. Turning the heating up and measuring the heat levels outside on a cool day will give you a better idea of the areas to address.

Back