Updated by iPhone software - €1 charge from iTunes appearing on my bank statement

Brendan Burgess

Founder
I upgraded the software on my iPhone yesterday.

They asked me if I wanted to implement two step verification, so I said yes.

I had forgotten some piece of information, so they asked me me debit card details telling me that I would not be charged. So I provided them.

Today, I see on my AIB debit card

upload_2017-4-19_9-46-9.png

AIB has told me that this is probably a test from Apple and that it will remain pending for 7 days and then disappear.

It's very odd from a few points of view.
1) It says itunes and not Apple
2) Apple should have told me that it will appear as a pending transaction.
3) AIB should have told me about the introduction of this new piece of information on my statement "pending transactions" which I have noticed only in the last few months.

Brendan

AIB should have told me about the introduction of this new piece of information on my statement "pending transactions" which I have noticed only in the last few months.
Brendan
I can't comment on the core of your post Brendan (I tend to stay away from all things Apple!) but pending transactions have been a feature of online statements for a good while now, years even perhaps? Even transactions that are never ultimately processed (like car rental companies holding the excess on your credit card) appear here. Helps to know about upcoming transactions on both your credit and debit cards and transactions which haven't yet been processed by the vendor but have been approved by the card company.

pending transactions have been a feature of online statements for a good while now, years even perhaps? Even transactions that are never ultimately processed (like car rental companies holding the excess on your credit card) appear here.

Thanks Rob

I don't think that they haven't been on my AIB online statements for years? Months perhaps? Maybe a year.

I doubt if they could have been there without my noticing them.

I had not realised that transactions which might not be processed would be on them.

Brendan

I have to say I have never ever been charged for an OS software upgrade on a device. Yes 4 years unfortunately, has to be a test on the card but I can't ever remember a test on any card, debit or credit, on registration. Sometimes for larger purchases they do the annoying €1.99 debit verification thing. I think you can tell AIB to cancel the €1 if it hangs around unrefunded for too long.

I have a VISA debit card from AIB and they have a two stage "Verified by Visa" process which I have implemented.

I have to say I have never ever been charged for an OS software upgrade on a device.

Just to be clear, I was not charged for the update.

As part of the update, or maybe coincidentally, they asked me if I wanted to implement two step verification. This is used if I log in to some other device. Initially I declined, but it asked me again. So I said I would just to get rid of it.

But I needed to pass some security questions. When I failed them it went on to the credit card stuff.

Brendan

I think the pending transactions used to be in a separate tab with AIB Online. You had to click this tab to see them. Recently, they've moved to the top of the online statement and are more noticeable.

Yes they used to be in the "Pending transactions" tab. It makes reconciliation easier. IMO.

I think the pending transactions used to be in a separate tab with AIB Online. You had to click this tab to see them. Recently, they've moved to the top of the online statement and are more noticeable.

Thanks for clarifying that. I was astonished that I had missed it for the guts of 4 years.

Brendan

Back