UPDATE: Advice re myhome.ie and Estate Agents

Re: Advice re myhome.ie and Estate Agents

Witchfinder said:
Is he an independent, or does he work for one of the big groups (don't mention the name if he does though!)?

Either way, get rid of him.

It's a fairly big group, not huge. I can PM you with name if you want? He's the manager of the local branch. He was on the phone last night for ages pushing my mum to put the price down immediately, saying that she 'has to do it today'. I feel like strangling him for what sounds to me like intimidation. Who does he think he is? I've told her to come on here this morning to read all the good advice you guys are giving.

They are all franchisees in big groups nowadays compared to 7 o 8 years ago.

The crappy grotty photo alone (save the web page down your solicitors office as exhibit A and print it and sign it and date it ) is enough to make me suspect malfeasance of some sort . It could be he has 3 or 4 similar houses tripping over each other on his books and feels he needs to band them a bit.

The failure to accentuate modernisation and wooden floors and stuff is another bad sign .

Whether his pricing is correct or not you have a get out based on the fact that the house is simply not being turned out well to the market.

I agree with most of the comments and would drop the EA now. He sounds like he is treating and pressuring your mam, his customer, like many EAs (in my experience) very poorly. Maybe look at houses in your area that are listed on myhome.ie and daft.ie and see who looks like they have done a reasonable job on the ad listing. Perhaps you may even post your area and people could PM you with suggestions/views on EAs they would recommend. I say PM over post as I fear the topic could escalate and that could leave AAM open to action.

Best wishes,
MAJJ

I would agree with the others - drop this EA now.

If you think he's bad now - he'll be even worse later.

Do not make the excuse to yourself that it'll be easier to continue with him now that you've started.

(I've made this mistake in the past with others - given them one chance too many to sort things out - I was always disappointed)

Thanks to everyone. Some really good suggestions.I've had a good look at the other houses on myhome with other EA'S who seem to have done a better job regarding descriptions and photo's. I've also found out that the EA we are using will only give people information on houses after they have left their name and telephone number with them which I think may little intimidating when they are just enquiring. He hasn't printed out any brochures on the house either.

The house is in <edit> so if anyone has recommendations please let me know.

roxy said:
The house is in <edit> so if anyone has recommendations please let me know.

This definitely let's the cat outta the bag, so to speak :p

For what it's worth, your man seems to provide very basic brochures for the majority of his properties on myhome.ie, i.e.

only 4 out of 18 listings have more than 1 photo

some only have a piccy of his Office premesis where the house should be :eek:

His descriptions seem to be very formulaic, if you know what i mean, they follow the same patter.

On the other hand, the other two 4-beds he has are up for €449,950, with your ma's still at €499,950. Perhaps he knows something about the market here.

I think, given the above, and depending on the level of fees he is charging, and how much he is owed already, (presumably you know), perhaps it's time to consider another EA, who might make a better effort.

I've edited out the name of the estate in the above two posts, on the grounds that — as irishpancake has proved! — it's easy to identify the EA in question.

Given the uncomplimentary things being said about him — however richly deserved — I don't want to see Brendan or AAM exposed to charges of libel/defamation.

irishpancake said:
This definitely let's the cat outta the bag, so to speak :p

For what it's worth, your man seems to provide very basic brochures for the majority of his properties on myhome.ie, i.e.

only 4 out of 18 listings have more than 1 photo

some only have a piccy of his Office premesis where the house should be :eek:

His descriptions seem to be very formulaic, if you know what i mean, they follow the same patter.

On the other hand, the other two 4-beds he has are up for €449,950, with your ma's still at €499,950. Perhaps he knows something about the market here.

I think, given the above, and depending on the level of fees he is charging, and how much he is owed already, (presumably you know), perhaps it's time to consider another EA, who might make a better effort.

UH-OH should I edit it out? Did it take you ages to find the house? Found that myself with the descriptions and the pics of the office, what's with that? Ours is bigger than the others, has large extension/sunroom so think thats why price is more.

DrMoriarty said:
I've edited the name of the estate in the above two posts, on the grounds that — as irishpancake proves — it's easy to identify the EA in question.

Given the uncomplimentary things being said about him — richly deserved, by the sounds of things! — I don't want to see Brendan or AAM exposed to charges of libel/defamation.

Sorry DrM, posts crossed, thanks for that.

De nada. It also looks to be a corner site, so bigger garden than most, and not immediately adjacent to the green space... ;)

DrMoriarty said:
I've edited out the name of the estate in the above two posts, on the grounds that — as irishpancake has proved! — it's easy to identify the EA in question.

Sorry Doc, just couldn't resist the small challenge. muchas gracias ;)

You should try Google Earth, irishpancake — the fun you could have, mailing people aerial views of their 'private' back garden... :D

DrMoriarty said:
De nada. It also looks to be a corner site, so bigger garden than most, and not immediately adjacent to the green space... ;)

No it's actually next door to the corner site, and the green is around the corner. Next door is, how do I say it; unoccupied most of the time, used as a workplace.

DrMoriarty said:
You should try Google Earth, irishpancake — the fun you could have, mailing people aerial views of their 'private' back garden... :D

Probably need a Beast of a machine to run it, and BB, but don't have this at home.

Don't think the old network admins would appreciate it here at "work". :p

not a good idea, checking out AAM is bad enuff.

PM me a map co-ordinate and I'll PM you a .jpg :D

Have you tried getting a mate to ring up the EA and ask to see it and then put in an offer ? Tape recorders/camcorders on the ready.

elcato said:
Have you tried getting a mate to ring up the EA and ask to see it and then put in an offer ? Tape recorders/camcorders on the ready.

No, should I? Would probably be very hard though when everyone has to leave name and numbers just to enquire, he says he'll only let loan approved people view it.

roxy said:
No, should I? Would probably be very hard though when everyone has to leave name and numbers just to enquire, he says he'll only let loan approved people view it.

He WHAT? While it might be a good idea to restrict viewings in that way, it's completely your decision and he definitely shouldn't be ruling out potential buyers without getting your 'okay' on the strategy.

That, plus the fact that he has no business demanding that your mother drop the price, plus everything else you've told us suggests that you should definitely sack him. Do it now. He's either a moron, or he's very, very lazy. He's certainly not acting in your interests.

Thanks again guys for advice.

Ok here's the latest. We got another EA to value the house, he's from one of the larger chains with alot of offices. Won't say who but they are very well known. He also says the market has slowed and is recommending dropping the price a little, not as much the other EA, but enough to try and let bidding start. The original one has a viewing today so we're going to see what comes out of that before making a definite decision. Someone told my mum over the weekend hat you can have more than one EA selling your house at the same time, and that you only pay the one that sells it. Is this true?

if possible,meet the EA after the viewing with a clear head and somebody to back you up and ask him all of the questions/comments on here..
that will let him know you have been talking to someone else about it
and he might get the message

Back