UPC/NTL PVR to be launched

Can I update this without getting an engineer out?
Not sure. It may be difficult to find firmware updates for Pace boxes that are normally only sold via TV service providers such as NTL etc. If you don't know what you're doing then don't do it as you could render your box useless.

Not sure. It may be difficult to find firmware updates for Pace boxes that are normally only sold via TV service providers such as NTL etc. If you don't know what you're doing then don't do it as you could render your box useless.

Fair enough. Not worth taking a chance on this. I'll give them a call sometime. I'd ungrade to the digital recorder if they had a better deal.

Thanks for your help.

Well took the plunge and ordered one. Anyone else been as brave/foolhardy? Does anyone know the make of the box?

Strikes me as a pretty good deal IF it works. Looks like about half the price of sky+ too. NTL rang to confirm my appointment and seem slightly surprised by it. Guess I am one of the first thanks to the posters before with the early info.

Having had the same problems with NTL re customer service and box freezing in the past I remain skeptical but brave...wish me luck, will report back...

Here's a link to the NTL DVR Manual :

It's reviewed in a blog here:
[broken link removed]

And the box itself is a Thomson 6000.

Thanks for that, a comprehensive review. Looks like a safe buy, assuming NTL don't cock it up!

Well the kit arrived as advertised. So far quite happy. Seems to work a treat, esp the pause tv facility. You can watch 1 channel and record another, the 7 day guide works and you also have the ability to set weekly recording etc.

The downside is the box itself is hot, a bit loud and not a looker! Scart connections only (CMON why not componant!) and audio/digital audio out. (anyone know can this be connected to optical audio link in a surround sound??) Also the picture quality is worse than my old, big NTL digibox. I always reckoned the new slim box provides a far worse pic on flat screen tvs. This PVR has the same quality. Probably just a cheap box.

In all if it continues to work properly I am a happy man. Easiest way to record cable by a country mile.

Back