UPC Digital box and cable modem problems

robbie00

Hi,

I have the silver UPC digital box and the cabled modem supplied by them. Recently the digital receiver has powered itself off a few times and also gives picture with no sound.

My cable modem keeps dropping its connection. I have had both for around 5 years and never had any problems before.

Any ideas on what might be the issue? Do you think these just need to be replaced.

Might be a good idea to get one of their engineers out because its very annoying to have the service dropping regularly.

I rang them this morning and have an engineer calling out next week. I presume all he is going to do is replace the equipment that is faulty.

I rang them this morning and have an engineer calling out next week. I presume all he is going to do is replace the equipment that is faulty.

If the equipment is 5 years old, then he will very likely replace it.

He should also check the signal strength at the box in your sitting room.
If this is lower than normal, the problem might be the quality and age of the cable from the box outside your house to the connection to the STB and cable modem in your house.

If you are the only one of your neighbours having problems, then these are really the only two things that can go wrong, as the quality of the signal to your road is acceptable.

Cheers for that hopefully either the new equipment or else maybe running a new cable into the house will resolve the issue. I think it will be down to the equipment as its that old and I have read on other sites that the digital box isnt to reliable.

Just read this post about upc, just wondered if I could ask something. (I also PM'd Sandals).

I'm also a 'basic' upc customer. I want to have 2 new TVs - one in the bedroom and one in the attic. There is no wiring or anything done for these. As I understand Sandals - for the cabling / electrics to be completley hidden - that needs the electrician and plaster man to wire everything (after the upc men have brought in the cables and caused mayhem?)

I have a socket and TV plug in point on the kitchen wall from the renovations I had done but never got around to using it - I guess I need to get a digital box from upc, plug in a TV and see if it works?

Was hoping that wireless had made it to TV, but it seems to be still a mish mash of cables to be hidden.... or is there an other way to have things neater or wireless?

Thanks for any help for the luddite Deirdra

Back