Up to 16,000 Ulster Bank mortgage customers to receive payments over recalculation blunders

SaySomething

It was first reported by Indo, but that is behind a paywall, so I'm favouring the free-to-read link from RTÉ on Friday.
Link to report: https://www.rte.ie/news/business/20...00-ulster-bank-customers-to-receive-payments/

According to Will Goodbody for RTÉ, this specifically relates to customers who engaged with the MARP process. There was a calculation error on exiting forbearance agreements. This resulted in customers repaying at higher interest rates for a longer period of time.

Remediation began in March, and most (but not all) of the customers have been contacted.

For my own part, I received a recalculation letter in Oct last year and small refund. But this seemed to be another separate issue.

However, I also got an ECB letter at the start of August, which gave me a net decrease in my mortgage repayment of €4 per month, even though the ECB rate increased by 0.25%. My mortgage is still with Ulster Bank and has not yet been transferred to AIB. So I suspect I am to receive another letter.

I rang the bank about the decrease and was told that this was 'very normal' due to the date the repayments fell. They said I had paid my mortgage on the 30th July and the letter issued on 1st of August so that would explain the discrepancy.

I got 2 cheques from Ulster Bank maybe about 3 years ago with an apology over something like this. Not major money.
The repayment amounts on statements and letters were always too high, and just some figure that was right sometime in the past, when interest rates were higher.
I ignored the amount on the letters as I knew roughly what the payments should be.
I was and am paying manually rather than direct debit so I just gave them the minimum payment that I calculated plus a bit extra.

Back