Unusual redundancy situation - advice needed

Animal

Need some advice on this redundancy situation please - apologies for long post!

A friend has worked for a company for 12 plus years. About 6 months ago, employee was told company was no longer solvent and was shutting down with no notice. Forms were received from liquidator and returned to him - rp50 and claim for unpaid wages in lieu of notice.

He has since received a cheque from the liquidator for the unpaid wages. However no sign of redundancy. He has queried this a number of times with the boss who said he would check with the liquidator.

He has also contacted the liquidator directly who advised at one stage the department sent out a form looking for more info which was never recieved.

The liquidator has now advised they are looking for details of when my friend claimed social welfare over the last few years (things were quiet sometimes in work and friend claimed jobseekers a couple of times - but not all the time - on a short term basis) he did not keep records of when he claimed.

Will social welfare be able to provide him with this information if he looks for it?

Is the fact he didn't sign on everyday he wasn't working going to go against him?

He does not recall receiving a p45 when the company went under.

I know a number of people who have had to claim redundancy like this when the employer went bust but while it always took some time there never seemed to be this hassle - I'm wondering was this maybe the employer was not paying revenue the employees tax for example - or maybe that's just me being suspicious.

What is the next course of action.? Any advice or opinions would be appreciated!!

I am wondering if it's possible that the fact that he claimed SW for a period of time will count as a break in service? If so, that will have an impact on how much redundancy he may be entitled to.

SW should be able to provide the information.

Back