Untaxed car on public road

DannyBoyD

How long can an untaxed car be left on a public road before being towed away?

I know tax should always be in date, but I would imagine AGS would allow some lee way?

I know tax should always be in date, but I would imagine AGS would allow some lee way?
You’re more likely to get a fine by way of ticket before there’s any consideration of removal.

We had a problem with abandoned cars nearby years ago, many with well over three months expired tax and insurance.

DCC would do nothing at all. Someone told me that if a reg plate was removed they would be more likely to tow it.

We had a problem with abandoned cars nearby years ago, many with well over three months expired tax and insurance.

DCC would do nothing at all. Someone told me that if a reg plate was removed they would be more likely to tow it.
Someone told me that without the reg plate it's considered abandoned, as they can't contact the registered owner. Then it's up to the council. With the reg plate, Gardaí can find the owner.

Someone told me that without the reg plate it's considered abandoned, as they can't contact the registered owner. Then it's up to the council. With the reg plate, Gardaí can find the owner.

That's what a club of which I am a member was informed some years ago. One morning, the number plates had mysteriously disappeared and a few days later, the Council towed the car away.

Reactions: jpd
Yeah, they are only permitted to move abandoned or illegally parked cars.
I agree but surely long-expired insurance and tax is useful supporting evidence of abandonment?

For one abandoned car I sent DCC pictures of the car in the same position stampdated three months apart, a photo of the flat tyre, a photo of accumulated leaves and other debris, etc. They told me that this wasn't evidence of abandonment and did nothing.

I'm not sure what happened as I moved soon after.

I agree but surely long-expired insurance and tax is useful supporting evidence of abandonment?
The problem is the occasional case of the owner being incapacitated through illness or injury, or being out of the country. In the absence of a declaration of it being off the road (where it must be stored on private property), their hands are tied.

I was surprised recently to see a notice on a parked car to the effect that it would be removed in two weeks if the owner didn’t make contact with a given contact address. I can’t remember if it was DLR county council but I don’t know who else it might have been.

It’s a busy area with high demand on parking so that may have been a contributory factor.

Back