Unsigned will/house deeds in mother name

sweet bear

Hi
Wondering if anyone can shine a light on this . my friend mother died reasonly, Her will was unsigned. the house deeds where in her name only. My friend lived in the house with her mother. When she died, My friends brother moved in. Since that he has changed all of his mothers bills into his name, and some havent been paid for so things where cut off. My friend couldnt share the house with her brother so she moved out. Probate has been stop by my friend. But I think she should allow probate to take place cos no once ownes the house. Can her brother do that ? change the bills? does he have that right? Is there any way of getting the brother to leave the house? he wants his share?
Thanks for any advice..
Ps. Could you reccommed a good solicitor that could take this on board....

Tell us where your friend is located and someone may be able to suggest a good solicitor. This is a situation where your friend needs legal representation and advice.

Hi Vanilla,

The house is situated in the Dublin northside area, and my friend is living in a bed & Breakfast. ESB Bill came in. Brother wont pay it!
Great to get the name of any good solicitors that would take this on.. Few solicitors where phoned, but their practices where to busy to take on another case.. or My friend was told by one solicitor the law is the law its the family home your brother has every right to live in it!!!
thanks for the help
sweet bear

My friend was told by one solicitor the law is the law its the family home your brother has every right to live in it!!!
Is there a chance that (regardless of how unpalatable this may be) this solicitor could be right?

First off perhaps you could change the title of the thread to ' Recommend a solicitor for a probate case in Northside Dublin?' to obtain some relevant replies- I'm afraid I don't know anyone to recommend.

Secondly it may very well be that your friend's brother IS entitled to half the house and if so, to live in it. However if for example your friend was living in the house with her mother, taking care of her, paying bills because she had been promised that the house would be left to her, then she may have a bigger claim than just half the house- I say this because of the mention of an unsigned will ( presumably in your friend's favour). A good solicitor will go through the background with your friend and will be able to advise accordingly.

Back