Unreimbursed Medical Expenses

B

brewster

I have nil tax paid on my P60 for 2005 but I have a lot of unreimbursed medical expenses for 2005. Can I reclaim tax? If not can I reclaim in a subsequent year?

I think you can claim back medical expenses even when you haven't paid tax in the year. With medical expenses the first €125 of medical expenses cannot be claimed if you are claiming for one individual and €250 if its for more than one person.

So if you have €500 in medical expenses you will be refunded €375 (one claim).

Think thats how it works...............

Also you can claim medical expenses back to 2002 but this needs to be done by December because after that the deadline runs out.

I think you can claim back medical expenses even when you haven't paid tax in the year. With medical expenses the first €125 of medical expenses cannot be claimed if you are claiming for one individual and €250 if its for more than one person.

So if you have €500 in medical expenses you will be refunded €375 (one claim).

This is totally wrong. Tax relief on medical expenses does not mean a refund of medical expenses over the €125/€250 threshold. It simply means that your taxable income is reduced by the amount over the threshold. If your taxable income is zero it cannot be reduced any further.

Ubiquitos, thank you for confirming this. I assume if I have taxable income in 2006 I could use my 2005 expenses to reduce this income.

No. You can only claim relief on medical expenses against income in the year in which they were incurred.

Just a point that you can claim relief in the year that the payments were made, so if you incurred the expenses in 2005 but didn't pay until 2006, you can claim against 2006 income

Back